Skeg Repair

bigdogeh

hi guys,
I have a couple skegs i wouldn't mind getting repaired. anyone know where I might be able to send them out to and have them repaired at a reasonable price?
they are bravo legs... I saw a post where dss was fixing these (dss welding out of Duncan I believe. His price looked really nice. I sent him a pm but haven't heard back from him. I;ll have to try giving his shop a call and see if I can get in touch with him.
Just looking for some conversation, comments, thoughts on the matter,
thxs,
bigD

20141213_130536[1].jpg

hi guys,
I have a couple skegs i wouldn't mind getting repaired. anyone know where I might be able to send them out to and have them repaired at a reasonable price?
they are bravo legs... I saw a post where dss was fixing these (dss welding out of Duncan I believe. His price looked really nice. I sent him a pm but haven't heard back from him. I;ll have to try giving his shop a call and see if I can get in touch with him.
Just looking for some conversation, comments, thoughts on the matter,
thxs,
bigD

DSS Welding in Duncan repaired a broken cavitation plate for me a couple of years ago. They had the job done quickly and expertly in their yard on Allenby Road. I can't recall their price but it was very reasonable. All that was left for me to do was paint.

I've thought of the skeg guard, but think I'd rather have them fixed up with welding. at this time anyways... glad to hear some good results have been had with dss welding. hope he hasn't upped his prices too much as they seemed pretty reasonable when reading some older posts... If he will do them i'll have to figure out how to get them to him. at first glance looks like about 75 apiece one way on the bus... so there's at least 300 in shipping.

In kamloops,
have a friend that travels up here from the coast every once in awhile...
just would like to take them to a place that has had experience fixing these... so if i have to ship I will...

I've thought about skeg guards. I wonder if it is better to have an aluminum skeg take the abuse and force of a hit and maybe brake off instead of a steel skeg guard allow the force of a hit to go up the leg and possibly damage the gears and gear shaft. Any thoughts or experience on this out there?

There are only two bolts holding the Skeg Guard so I dont think you will have to worry about damaging the gears etc

I use a Macs river runner skeg on my kicker works great for my use of running shallows, no line protector on this model. But it sure works well.

There are only two bolts holding the Skeg Guard so I dont think you will have to worry about damaging the gears etc
I agree with skeg guard instead of a repair, aluminum will still be soft and any minor touch of gravel or sand will damage it. I had mine destroyed after hitting a submerge truck in a lake here near Edmonton and replaced it a SS skeg guard, and it looks good too.

Attachments

• IMG00755-20130520-1033.jpg
    IMG00755-20130520-1033.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 278
Last edited by a moderator:
call poco marine,, they have done a couple for me..

I agree with skeg guard instead of a repair, aluminum will still be soft and any minor touch of gravel or sand will damage it. I had mine destroyed after hitting a submerge truck in a lake here near Edmonton and replaced it a SS skeg guard, and it looks good too.
I have repaired at least a couple dozen of them over the years, some as bad or worse than this….
There are opposing arguments to the weld up repair or the skeg guard, both have merit.
Personally I would rather have the weak link the skeg and fix it when needed instead of potentially doing bigger damage with a skeg guard, that said I have all the equipment to do the repair myself.

I have repaired at least a couple dozen of them over the years, some as bad or worse than this….
There are opposing arguments to the weld up repair or the skeg guard, both have merit.
Personally I would rather have the weak link the skeg and fix it when needed instead of potentially doing bigger damage with a skeg guard, that said I have all the equipment to do the repair myself.

A quick question Sir Q , last time I have a skeg repaired , my seals on my lower unit around the prop started to fail almost immediately. Do you think the heat of the weld could have anything to do with it?
thanks appreciate it.

beemer

Definitely. Aluminium gets smokin hot when you run weld on it.

A quick question Sir Q , last time I have a skeg repaired , my seals on my lower unit around the prop started to fail almost immediately. Do you think the heat of the weld could have anything to do with it?
thanks appreciate it.

beemer

Hard to say but entirely possible, my experience was an immediate leak not one that developed with use.
I make sure theres oil in them and take it slow….real slow, crank your amps up get on it hard and get out early, keep your stitches down to 2-3 puddles (1/2") or less then wrap a wet towel around the seal area I am trying to protect and let it cool right down. It can take me a day to do 10min of welding.
Theres a bunch in this previous post on welding up legs http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?29828-crack-in-lower-unit&highlight=weld

Thought I should finish this thread off. I had a friend from work do the welding for me. I fit the pieces and did the final grinding, blending and painting.
thought it didn't turn out too bad. gave him a c note and he was happy with that. alot better welding than I could have done... hopefully I can keep it off the rocks and away from the logs for awhile.:p

passport pics 028.jpgpassport pics 030.jpgpassport pics 037.jpgpassport pics 040.jpg

Back