SKEENA COUNTRY!! Part I

Hi Stew---welcome to the Forum---there's a great group of guys here---you'll feel at home!

I second Derby's comment above---great first post---articulate and heart-felt ---well spoken.

And for the record, I don't begrudge you that weekend free-pass you received from the Province to protect you from the Non Rez guys---I suppose if I was in your shoes I'd be trying to work out the same regulatory maneuver with the Province.

But I have a bit more jaundiced view of the Gitxsan maneuver in Hazelton, mainly because I became privvy to how it came about. It wasn't the Band who woke up one morning, deciding to beat up the Non Rez guys for $ 100 a day--- it was the guides who instigated the whole thing, you know, get the clutter off "their" river. I was part of the clutter they wanted removed so I guess their gambit worked

Three years ago I brought my 21 year old daughter up to Skeena Country. She took her first steps on the banks of the Kispiox back in the early 90's so it was a "home-coming" of sorts for her

So we pull into the camping spot where I'd been camping every October since 1975 and there, hammered to a tree, was a huge sign informing us of the new world order--- PAY OR GET OFF

Because the water in question was pretty much the most productive water on the system, and because I wanted to show my daughter a great trip, I started reaching for my wallet.

..."No, Papa, no way no how, she shrieked---you're NOT going to pay that ridiculous sum!!!..."

So long story short, we left the river and went to search out other spots.

I visited a friend of mine later that week (who is a well known guide on that river) and told him the story about the sign. He snickered knowingly. Then, after a few drinks, he 'fessed up to how that sign came about and why it got hammered to that tree

So, big surprise---a resource grab by the guides, but make it look like it was the Band who did it

But later, while slumming in less productive water, a Chinese proverb came to mind:

Be Careful What You Wish For

Now that the Gitxsan's have a taste for the value that can be extracted from their lands, there's not much holding them back to keep upping the ante, is there? And they've had ring-side seats watching the white guys hone their skills at resource extraction so their training wheels are already in place

The whole dynamic crushes me---yeah, back in the 70's and 80's I got spoiled rotten. Frolicking in the grass with my GF alongside the river, fishing only when we felt like it, fishing a dry fly through a run first, every morning, then backing ourselves up later with a wet fly if we felt like it. Try that today and you'll get run over by the frothing hordes of spey bro's, the Simms Poster Boys coming in over the bank behind you like an occupying force---one chance, buster. Use it or lose it, then move it

My folks lived in London during my early years in Skeena Country so I already knew how the fishing game was played in Scotland and that part of the world--- I'd been there, I'd paid the daily ticket fee on the Tweed and the Spey so I fully realized just how lucky we were to have had it like that when we did up in Skeena Country and to have had it so good for so long but having said that, I don't necessarily have to feel brotherly and socially magnanimous towards The New World Order---- mainly because I see the downstream ramifications of where things are heading and it doesn't look pretty.

The idea of seeing my children have to pay to fish depresses the hell out of me.

Have you heard about Sweetwater? They go all over the world and gobble up the prime pieces of fishing property for their well-heeled clients. Thus the name---Sweetwater. How charming.

Look at N. Gyger's website-- it used to be about salmon and steelhead. Now it's all about real estate. Private ownership. Get yours while you can

This is the trend I see--- a sport that is destined to suffer creeping expropriation by the moneyed class.

So you'd better throw your arms around the week-end only free pass the Province threw you guys, Stew, because outfits like Sweetwater and their ilk are gunning for the remaining 5 days of your week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharphooks - for the record, even though I apprciate being able to fish weekends with reduced pressure from non residents, I am not in favor of the rule. Same as I am not in favour of fly only rules. Rules like these just pit one user group againnst the other. Something that is happening more and more in this part of the world. Why we can't just all get along and let bygones be bygones I'll never know.

Also for the record, I am a gear chucker and don't have any particular interest in fly fishing or spey fishing (is there a differance?). I figure, each to his own, who am I to say my way is best or better for the fish. I saw this opinion piece in the Terrace online paper this week on this topic. Good read. I believe I met the auther this year on the river, if it is the same person I met, we had a good chat on this topic one night over a piece of mutal friends birthday cake. http://www.terracestandard.com/opinion/279292862.html I hope it's ok to post links like this, forgive me if it is not.

I don't fish the kispiox for as a gear chucker one may put his/her life at risk fishing the way I do on that river. I am however completly aware of the how and why of the "fee" charged for acces to this river. Like in most aspects of life, there are those that only think of themselves and their way of life or their pocket book. Doesn't make it right, it's just the way it is. I only hope Karma comes around and gets them all one day.

The Gitskan's main beef is over territory. They are in dispute with the BC goverment and the Kitsumkalum Band. The goverment is ready to sigh with the Kitsukalum but the treaty includes a big chunk of land along the Skeena claimed by the Gitskan. The goverment and the Kitsumkalum basically said to bad to the Gitskan. The eviction was a way to get everyone's attention and perhaps get what they want. This did not get them much sympathy around here. They lifted the eviction (but not access to the river at Kitwanga a seperate issue) for the remainder of this year but I fully expect that if they don' get what they want next year it will be on again. I sure hope not as most people feel they are alienating the very people they want support from for their anti pipeline stance.

Never heard of Sweetwater, I will have to look that one up.
As for Gyger - if mean Noel, I don't know him personally but have heard lots and have looked at his site. I tend to not make opinions on other peoples say so, so I won't comment.

Unfortunatly I see the day coming when a guy will need a licence from each and every band along the river for the right to fish (if they even let us) as well as whatever the goverment of the day decides to charge as well.

I hear you about fishing in the 70's and 80's. In those days I jet boated all around the Kasiks, Exchamchicks, Gitnadoix. Could fish all day during the week and maby see a boat or two. Now it's crazy when the coho are runnging and don't even start me on the gong show around Terrace when the springs are in. Like you I feel the worst for the kids coming into fishing now. My grandson is 8 and I wonder what his fishing experience will be like when he is my age. We can only hope for the best.

Hope to meet you up here in gods country one day.
Stew

Back