single or twins?

albernifisher

Now that I just about have my project boat nailed down Im already thinking about engines. What is everyones opinions on a single big motor or twins??? Will be used mostly inshore with the ocasional run offshore.

JMHO, if you aren't going off shore all the time a single and a kicker will save you about $15K
and a lot of gas. :D

JMHO, if you aren't going off shore all the time a single and a kicker will save you about $15K
and a lot of gas. :D

and a lot of money! Twins are great , but you have twice the maintenance and you lose 20% efficiency due to the added weight and dragging another leg through the water. Offshore is the big question.

beemer

Another black beast? Of pink this time around? Maybe glow coat it...... Love to see a glowing boat going across the water or down the highway. :)

Put a 300 on it :)

Go against the grain. Remove the pod, cut a hole through the transom and put in an I/O. :)

Would also agree - install a single with a kicker.

It depends on the size of boat. There are some motors which are easy to find as lease returns and they are a great option. So twin 70 or 90 yes twin 150 and up no. You can often find late model 90's for a great deal and will be cheaper then a 150 and a kicker. With the light weight motors these days some times the weight difference is not much between the twin to single and kicker. If you find a boat that can run twin 90 that's the ticket you can find 1 or 2 year old motors for 6k each with less than 1000 hours

A single 300 may the a nice option for that ride....a good reliable 4 stroke and a kicker is a great combo.

After 4 single + kicker combos and my current twin outboard setup I can say from experience I would always choose twins over a single + kicker if it's an option in the future.

As for the argument that they cost more or are less efficient......it depends on the hull and how it's used

In my current setup no single 400hp and if there was the price of it + a new kicker with all the rigging would easily be as much as 2 mid horse outboards rigged

You just need to find what works with that boat. Hourston are heavy that's why most in 26ft range have inboards a lot of the time... Ask wolf if you have questions he knows a lot about those boats... They need a lot of Hp to push them...

Back