Single or Double Hook Hoochie

There is nothing I can find in the regulations prohibiting use of tandem hooks - so there probably isn't anything to look up....its totally legal to use tandems. Legal or not, its still an ethical consideration to limit the number of hooks.

Legal or not, I still believe we should try to amend the tackle we use to reduce the impact (or FRIM) on those fish we release - fewer hooks, smaller hook gaps = less probability of deep wounds that will lead to unanticipated mortality.

Bit shocking hearing about some guy in Rivers who is supposedly using 3 trebbles - Rivers is not a "meat" fishery - seems to me that most people participating in that fishery aren't looking to kill every fish that comes to the boat. Lot of research out there on the impact of trebble hooks vs single hooks - especially on smaller fish - granted many of the studies are on trout and not large mature Chinook. So I admit that when it comes to hook style and gap of hook, size of the fish encountered will be a significant determining variable in hook mortality. Nevertheless, 3 trebbles is questionable practice IMO.

Same for avoiding using nets of any kind (even soft mesh so called release nets). I have seen a lot of damage (fin damage, loss of scales and slime) from even the best release net. If we are planning to release fish, IMO it is best practice to simply use a gaff to remove the hook while the fish is in the water. Less handling = less probability of injury - not rocket surgery.

Another reason I don't use tandem hooks on hoochies is it is far easier to do a gaff release with only one hook to deal with.

I fully appreciate these are not easy conversations, and certainly limiting FRIM is new ground the recreational fishery is now only starting to investigate and adopt our practice. However, seems like the right thing to do if our goal is to have long-term sustainable recreational fisheries for future generations.

There is nothing I can find in the regulations prohibiting use of tandem hooks - so there probably isn't anything to look up....its totally legal to use tandems. Legal or not, its still an ethical consideration to limit the number of hooks.

Legal or not, I still believe we should try to amend the tackle we use to reduce the impact (or FRIM) on those fish we release - fewer hooks, smaller hook gaps = less probability of deep wounds that will lead to unanticipated mortality.

Bit shocking hearing about some guy in Rivers who is supposedly using 3 trebbles - Rivers is not a "meat" fishery - seems to me that most people participating in that fishery aren't looking to kill every fish that comes to the boat. Lot of research out there on the impact of trebble hooks vs single hooks - especially on smaller fish - granted many of the studies are on trout and not large mature Chinook. So I admit that when it comes to hook style and gap of hook, size of the fish encountered will be a significant determining variable in hook mortality. Nevertheless, 3 trebbles is questionable practice IMO.

Same for avoiding using nets of any kind (even soft mesh so called release nets). I have seen a lot of damage (fin damage, loss of scales and slime) from even the best release net. If we are planning to release fish, IMO it is best practice to simply use a gaff to remove the hook while the fish is in the water. Less handling = less probability of injury - not rocket surgery.

Another reason I don't use tandem hooks on hoochies is it is far easier to do a gaff release with only one hook to deal with.

I fully appreciate these are not easy conversations, and certainly limiting FRIM is new ground the recreational fishery is now only starting to investigate and adopt our practice. However, seems like the right thing to do if our goal is to have long-term sustainable recreational fisheries for future generations.
Results of a rubber release net... less handling better survial .. smaller gap on a hook for sure

20220530_071523.jpg

been pushing a certain company to bring onto the market a barbless stainless steel circle hook with a few style's to try keep most happy

I agree 100%

I fully appreciate these are not easy conversations, and certainly limiting FRIM is new ground the recreational fishery is now only starting to investigate and adopt our practice. However, seems like the right thing to do if our goal is to have long-term sustainable recreational fisheries for future generations
I agree 100% with all of this, but I am in a learning curve when it comes to fishing salmon in the ocean. Prior to this season, the majority of my experience was limited to Nootka where the retention limits are fairly liberal, including the potential to keep wild Coho. So I learned fishing tandems on hoochies and bait, since chances are a hookup will lead to a fish that is legal to retain. Cut to this season, I get my own boat and start fishing out of Nanaimo where slots are in effect for Chinook and wild Coho are off the menu. It only took my first trip out solo to realize I needed to not fish tandems here. Learning the value of a gaff release or at least a pair of pliers the hard way (stinger hook through the pad of index finger, other hook still in angry fish) only reinforced this. I have fished singles every time out since. Not just on hoochies but on bait too. I am trying to minimize mortality on non-retained fish as much as I can, but I'm pretty sure I released at least a couple Coho this season that didn't make it. I'm hoping that will change with experience. My two biggest challenges now are mastering the gaff release (having only practiced it and handfull of times on real fish), and telling the difference between a wild and hatch Coho at the side of the boat without netting it. Probably should be wearing prescription sunglasses, but when it's thrashing around there off the side it takes longer to decide than I would like. If in doubt I release. I'm still amazed at guides I've fished with that can make a confident ID within seconds, and execute a gaff release before I can blink if it's wild. Hopefully I'll get there some day.

I think people are getting fresh water regulations confused with salt water regulations. Single barbless has been a rule in freshwater areas for as long as I can remember. Rivers especially. I think lakes have a bit different regualtion, depending on the watershed. That being said, in freshwater regs there's also a one rod per person rule. In salt water your not limited to rods or hooks. Only regulation is when trolling the hooks must be barbless. Can have as many hooks as you want. Not that that will help you in this instance. Big single hook is what we use on hootchies. As far as the OPs question goes. We'll bigger then say your classic pretied leader you buy your local tackle shop. Mustad stainless

Last edited:

He uses 3 barbless singles. He fishes the head. Releases all his fish as far as I know

In a meat fishery with little or no bycatch around I will sometimes use 2 triples in my hoochies. The last one an inch or so behind the rubber. I see a guy in Rivers every year that runs 3 hooks for cut plugs. He swears by the tri-hook
Back when we fished with the guides in Campbell River, one of them showed me his set up for cut plug herring. It was a large single for the tow hook and two smaller trebles for the trailer hooks. He called it "the whirling wings of death". He said the fish just has to get close to the bait and you got em!

He uses 3 barbless singles. He fishes the head. Releases all his fish as far as I know
I don't think that is too uncommon. I know quite a few people who use three for their cutplugs. Tow hook, one on the body, and one trailer... makes the whole bait sticky.

Results of a rubber release net... less handling better survial .. smaller gap on a hook for sure

View attachment 99048
A very common problem with nets. More common than most are aware of and this is certainly a problem for survival after release. Predators are going to be far more capable of getting these fish.

Single barbless with the swivel is the way to go with hoochie. 3 or 4 beads to get the hook further back toward the end of the hoochie. I've started using Gammy Big River open eye hooks. You can use a smaller 3/0 hook and still has great holding power.

That damage was from a Rubber bagged net .. so for those that think using rubber webbing is a better option its really not... :)

Correct.. this particular net being used was considered one of the better ones for a rubber bag.. so in the end netting any fish when its going to be released there is always damage... :)

Correct.. this particular net being used was considered one of the better ones for a rubber bag.. so in the end netting any fish when its going to be released there is always damage... :)
Compared to a regular mesh net, the rubber ones are an improvement for reduced scale and slime loss though. We all know that often a fish still swallow a hook which necessitates netting, so the preferred gaff release method is not always possible.

Last edited:
Back