Single or Double Hook Hoochie

I agree with that.

But have I been fishing illegally?
When I fish hoochies they are usually out of the package 2 hooks with no barbs trolling area 15

If it is two hooks designed to catch only one fish it’s perfectly legal. I asked DFO
From the website
If I read that as written then it states one hook attached to a fly or artificial lure.
I asked the DFO last year if my set up was legal. It consisted of a plug with a trailing treble used for dragging the bottom.
He went away,came back with his bible and said that he was ok with that as long as the treble didn't stick out beyond the tail of the plug.
His reasoning being that he compared it to baitfishing but realised that you can't stick a hook into a piece of plastic-go figure!
It would appear that it's open to their discretion which is a bit unfortunate as you just might meet the guy who has a different take.

Not open to interpretation.
You can have as many hooks as you want on bait or lure as long as it is designed to catch only one fish at a time. Come on guys this old horse has been beat to death.
Well, I am glad you say that it is not open to interpretation because based purely on what Jones attachment states then the first sentence is quite clear cut but if you have other info that states (outside baitfishing) I can use more than one hook then could you kindly point me in the right direction?
Also if this subject has been beaten to death I haven’t seen it.

I agree with that.

But have I been fishing illegally?
When I fish hoochies they are usually out of the package 2 hooks with no barbs trolling area 15
No you are not fishing illegally. I'll explain why I "liked" the post suggesting we only use single hooks for hoochies.

My personal view is, as anglers concerned about fishing sustainably we should also consider how our choice of fishing tackle contributes to unanticipated incidental mortality for those fish we will release.

Research is underway currently to better understand and then inform the recreational community on fishing tackle or release techniques that lead to incidental mortality - known within the scientific community as Fishery Related Incidental Mortality or FRIM. While that research has yet to be published there have been a few observations within earlier research noting that hook size, and style contribute to varying degrees of wounds that lead to post-release mortality.

Based on my experiences, and while we await those research findings, if you want to consider changing tackle to fish more sustainably moving towards using single hooks, with smaller hook gaps is a good place to start. Also suggest that if a fish is to be released, we should not use a net of any kind - just use your gaff to remove the hook while the fish is still in the water. Those 2 adaptations to our fishing and release practices could go a long ways towards reducing FRIM.

I usually use 2 hooks on my hootchies, mainly cause I buy the pre tied setups.

I was just reading the gear restrictions on the dfo website and it sounds like in tidal waters it is illegal to use 2 hooks? Am I interpreting it wrong??
yes, You are interpretin it wrong. There are a few specific areas that specify A single Hook,, but for most areas, two is OK

Thanks for the clarity! I always assumed it was legal with 2 hooks, I was just confused when I read the regs.

That being said, I like how you guys think and I will only be fishing with a single hook to reduce mortality if possible from now on.

I was out of the fishing game for about 10 years but I am back and ready to adapt to new techniques. My net is way too abrasive as well and I like fish releasing without using it.

I have also purchased a seaquilizer descender and it is awesome

If I read that as written then it states one hook attached to a fly or artificial lure.
I asked the DFO last year if my set up was legal. It consisted of a plug with a trailing treble used for dragging the bottom.
He went away,came back with his bible and said that he was ok with that as long as the treble didn't stick out beyond the tail of the plug.
His reasoning being that he compared it to baitfishing but realised that you can't stick a hook into a piece of plastic-go figure!
It would appear that it's open to their discretion which is a bit unfortunate as you just might meet the guy who has a different take.
You got some bad info... It has nothing to do with how far it sticks out. That only works on the ladies ;-) Most Tidal areas simply require Barbless Hooks.. as long as your lure is designed to only catch one fish at a time , it can have 6 hooks or whatever. Some specific areas specify "a single barbless hook " only and that means only 1 single barbless hook .. No Treble, No Stinger...

CR Greg

Thanks for the clarity! I always assumed it was legal with 2 hooks, I was just confused when I read the regs.

That being said, I like how you guys think and I will only be fishing with a single hook to reduce mortality if possible from now on.

I was out of the fishing game for about 10 years but I am back and ready to adapt to new techniques. My net is way too abrasive as well and I like fish releasing without using it.

I have also purchased a seaquilizer descender and it is awesome

Check out the rubber release nets available, and as mentioned, get proficient at the gaff release technique in the water.

Also, look for those plastic soft tubes from fly fishing stores (or whatever works) that you slide over the exposed leader between the hook swivel and the hoochie insert to protect the line, as chinook teeth will take the complete hoochie and hook away after a few bites. I bought a package from Pacific Angler, not sure what the trade name is though, there were 10-12 within. They also help space the hook to where you want it.

You got some bad info... It has nothing to do with how far it sticks out. That only works on the ladies ;-) Most Tidal areas simply require Barbless Hooks.. as long as your lure is designed to only catch one fish at a time , it can have 6 hooks or whatever. Some specific areas specify "a single barbless hook " only and that means only 1 single barbless hook .. No Treble, No Stinger...

CR Greg
Thanks for the info.
Any idea where I could read that for myself (can’t find it) as there seems to be a few of you who are pretty sure that more than one hook is ok when not using bait.

Well, I am glad you say that it is not open to interpretation because based purely on what Jones attachment states then the first sentence is quite clear cut but if you have other info that states (outside baitfishing) I can use more than one hook then could you kindly point me in the right direction?
Also if this subject has been beaten to death I haven’t seen it.
I have been fishing saltwater for over 50 years. I have been checked on the water many times with tandem hooks on hoochies. If anyone on here has been busted for tandem hooks please chime in.
Truly it is not a problem. I understand new fishers being confused by the regulations.
Call your local DFO office and ask for clarity on this issue.

I have been fishing saltwater for over 50 years. I have been checked on the water many times with tandem hooks on hoochies. If anyone on here has been busted for tandem hooks please chime in.
Truly it is not a problem. I understand new fishers being confused by the regulations.
Call your local DFO office and ask for clarity on this issue.
You are correct. Tandem hooks are totally legal

The DFO website is trash as it does not explain this at all. It says you can use more then one hook if using bait, but it does not say that you can if your not using bait.

tho though talking to dfo at sfac meetings the officers in their hand book or something says its okay to use more then one hook for artificials, as long as they are not arrange in a manner that you would catch more then one fish.

I don't blame anyone for asking about this because no where on the website does it say you can use more than one hook when fishing in the ocean (not tidal fraser) when fishing with artificial lures/bait.

Last edited:
In a meat fishery with little or no bycatch around I will sometimes use 2 triples in my hoochies. The last one an inch or so behind the rubber. I see a guy in Rivers every year that runs 3 hooks for cut plugs. He swears by the tri-hook.

Back