Sidney

got my new (to me) boat rigged up with electronics, riggers and kicker (thanks rockdog) this weekend so thought I would go for a boat ride and drag some gear for a bit. Headed out from goldstream boatshed around 1.

Water looked like this
View attachment 6923

did a couple passes of Bamberton then picked up and thought I would give Mckenzie bight a try. Got this guy
Picture 012.jpg

49" long buck on mint tulip hootchie, great afternoon in shorts and flip flops :)

49" is that a typo supposed to be 40"? 49" spring is 50+ pounds.....beauty fish though nice work.

Last edited by a moderator:
49"......must have been dreaming :)
it was 39". Was a great way to spend 1/2 an hour! killed the engine and played it out til it was dead tired, forgot my net in the back of my truck and was alone so made for an interesting landing

Beautiful slab!! Doesn't look like you gaffed it.... A solo hand bomb is impressive considering you probably had the early season jitters seeing a larger one on the end of your line. :cool:

That is a NICE looking fish!

Find any large herring inside it? The herring didn't seem to return to the inlet like the last couple years....or are just being illusive, as they do. See any bird/bait balls out there?

saw a ton of bait just around the corner from wayne rock the other day, no salmon though :(

Well done, GnB! We've had our boat there for a month just for the prawns--I never even thought to try for salmon as i'm pulling the traps after work so I'm pressed for time. I should've given it a whirl on the weekend!
T2

No large herring. One very small very decomposed one though in the stomach..... I'm thinking he was pretty hungry.
No birds or bait either. Did sound one school of bait at bamberton.

I remember the 80's , trout rod's buzz bomb's/stingselda's, lots of 5-15lbers and lots of boats fishing.

This fish is getting a ton of attention. Wonder how many boats will be fishing McKenzie Bite for the derby. LOL

I also (barely) remember the 80's and some awesome fishing in Brentwood. Great memories with my dad. Only place we fished and did very well. Almost always jigging.
I have some great old newspaper clippings and other memorobilia from back then. One particular TC clipping with fishing reports that would shock ya.

Tips

Back