Shuswap Lake Sorrento

Dean

Hello has can anybody give me some insite to fishing shuswap lake as what is the best to use far as gear set up new to the area fishing it end of the month.

What do you have as far as a boat and gear? Riggers?

Morning, evenings and overcast/choppy days you can fish the surface otherwise you want to get down to the bait or thermocline so best to have a good sounder and riggers. Spoons, hoochies behind flashers, apex and small tomics all work well. Green and silver, blue and silver, watermelon, skunk and various UV colours all work well. If you want rainbows, don't troll too slow. Bucktails on top work when low light - morning, evening, choppy/overcast. Focus on major points, river/ck mouths, rock bluffs, the Narrows or, assuming you have good electronics, anywhere you are marking balls of bait (shiners or schools of sockeye/kokanee fry).

Lake gets VERY busy from now until end of August so wake/ski boats and other pleasure boaters can be a PITA any time other than early and late, I avoid that lake in July and August for that reason. Still, fishing can be great when its on.

Cheers!

Ukee

What Ukee said is 100% correct. I would also add that dodgers work well with Apex's, and 4" Lyman and Lucky Louie plugs are great in that Lake. I have also had good luck on a size #6 (large) chrome Canadian wonder spoon on the large Lake Trout (Char) in Shuswap.

The north arm of the lake gets less boat traffic, if you want to avoid the copper mountain zoo regatta crowd.

I have caught countless amounts of 10+ pound rainbow in that lake…. From Sorrento…. easy… You want to troll 1.7-2 miles an hour… down rigger a must…. 50-60 feet…. SMALL dodger… chrome works best. 4" or smaller APEX in Watermelon or Red or Chrome…… 48" leader minimum…. I feel the dodger scares them as much as atratc them.
Troll in figure 8 between Copper Island and Blind Bay….. there is a shelf out there at the 200 foot mark off the South side of the island… they hold there.
Or… troll due East from the lighthouse and try keep from 150-200 feet….. troll out several hundred yards like you are traveling down the lake… turn around and head back….. I nailed an 18 pounder there last year at this time…. That lake fishes awesome!
Of course….. you will need to be dogging surf boats during the day… but early AM and after people start pulling out for the provincial works.
The lake sides down around dinner… since there are no docks at the provincial people are forced to remove boats for the night….
Follow me lead…. rest assured…. that lake produces like crazy!
Follow the regs closely and make sure you license is good…. CO's are ALWAYS out there.
Good Luck!

I have caught countless amounts of 10+ pound rainbow in that lake…. From Sorrento…. easy… You want to troll 1.7-2 miles an hour… down rigger a must…. 50-60 feet…. SMALL dodger… chrome works best. 4" or smaller APEX in Watermelon or Red or Chrome…… 48" leader minimum…. I feel the dodger scares them as much as atratc them.
Troll in figure 8 between Copper Island and Blind Bay….. there is a shelf out there at the 200 foot mark off the South side of the island… they hold there.
Or… troll due East from the lighthouse and try keep from 150-200 feet….. troll out several hundred yards like you are traveling down the lake… turn around and head back….. I nailed an 18 pounder there last year at this time…. That lake fishes awesome!
Of course….. you will need to be dogging surf boats during the day… but early AM and after people start pulling out for the provincial works.
The lake sides down around dinner… since there are no docks at the provincial people are forced to remove boats for the night….
Follow me lead…. rest assured…. that lake produces like crazy!
Follow the regs closely and make sure you license is good…. CO's are ALWAYS out there.
Good Luck!

Thanks for all the info . Got a 14 ft Lund with a 20 merc and electric downriggers and helix 7 sounder shoul be good to go

Great post lets keep this one going!!!!! I fish out there alot as well, in-laws have a cabin near scotch creek. Agree very much with apex lures they seem to work very well. Change your colors and depths a bit depending on weather. The reelfishingadventures website has a ton of great info. I'm not affiliated with them at all just read it for reports and info. I've found the narrows to be very good fishing, but as said depends on boat traffic. Nice lake trout in there too if you spend time and find the right spots. There is a spoon called the "party girl" that has worked really well out there recently. If anyone wants to share info or hook up for a fish PM me on here or call me on VHF on the lake. Boat name is "nussy" usually on channell 68. As mentioned early in the am or in the evening, people can be crazy out there

Back