Shuswap lake may 1-14 fishing tips !!

Travo

Hi gong fishing on the shwap sometime between the 1st and 14th of may I heard the fishing is great there this time of year and I just bought a new boat 2005 20foot north river with a 150merc had strikers added and off shore bracket removed and custom one made planes instantly and runs like a 200hp motor 4500bucks later lol , getting off topic now I'm goimg to be running a bunch of set up prob 2 light mooching reels with bucktails working the top , 2 line counter on lead core line with various tackle and we will have 2 rods set up for the down rigger with Lyman lures, flat fish and large apex ....never fished here and I'm open to any suggestions please I'm still a novice have a lot to learn but I do catch a lot of fish sometime :)))) ,,, any suggestions on gear setup depth for this time of year and hot spots or even spots to start I appreciate ... Usually I would find hot spots myself but this lake is HUGE !

You may want to try our site, BCFR, there are more, but not a ton, Interior freshwater anglers on there. I was out on Okanagan and Kalamalka the last two days and it was dead slow. Tried everything but the kitchen sink. Shuswap and Mable will be more productive.

Shwap

Hi gong fishing on the shwap sometime between the 1st and 14th of may I heard the fishing is great there this time of year and I just bought a new boat 2005 20foot north river with a 150merc had strikers added and off shore bracket removed and custom one made planes instantly and runs like a 200hp motor 4500bucks later lol , getting off topic now I'm goimg to be running a bunch of set up prob 2 light mooching reels with bucktails working the top , 2 line counter on lead core line with various tackle and we will have 2 rods set up for the down rigger with Lyman lures, flat fish and large apex ....never fished here and I'm open to any suggestions please I'm still a novice have a lot to learn but I do catch a lot of fish sometime :)))) ,,, any suggestions on gear setup depth for this time of year and hot spots or even spots to start I appreciate ... Usually I would find hot spots myself but this lake is HUGE !

Check the regs. pretty sure there are closures on parts of the lake at this time of year.

Fishing for rainbows in Shuswap Lake is very similar to salmon fishing, at least for the bigger rainbows: i.e. downriggers used to troll spoons, plugs, apex and, believe it or not, flashers and hoochies. Big fish are a lot deeper than you'd think in the spring, at least in Shu Lake. I fish 40-120 feet, w/ 60-80 being the most common. It's a big lake but finding the fish is as easy as finding the schools of bait - predominantly salmon fry in Shuswap, which school up in predictable spots associated with rocky points and rock bluffs. If you have a fast boat and good sonar, simply run from likely spot to likely spot and look for balls of bait. The big Shu rainbows are always below the bait so set your rigger at the bottom depth of the bait ball and run your gear. Very nice lake before it gets crowded in the summer.

As mentioned, spring closures at the head of Seymour Arm, the Main arm from Scotch Creek to the outlet encompassing the Adams R mouth, Eagle R mouth and Old Town Bay. The Narrows is always good as are the more remote areas like Anstey Arm, if you're boat's capable and you're willing to make the run. If not, lots of points and bluffs in all four arms of the lake. That should get you more than started. Like anywhere, it pays to head to the local tackle store and give them some business in return for info on tackle, techniques and updated hotspots.

Ukee

Okay perfect I always support the local tackle and fly shops. Gota help the little guy out right ... Anyone else know of tang local shops that I cn stop into if that one is closed or out of business.

I do a lot of fishing around the okanagan, take a look at this site will help you a lot could email Sherm and ask him a few questions if you like he is very helpful and a master fisherman on that lake. Watch out for logs there will be lots of floaters around then depending on the weather and how hard the creeks are going.

Www.reelfishingadventures.net

I do a lot of fishing around the okanagan, take a look at this site will help you a lot could email Sherm and ask him a few questions if you like he is very helpful and a master fisherman on that lake. Watch out for logs there will be lots of floaters around then depending on the weather and how hard the creeks are going.

Www.reelfishingadventures.net

I agree, but I posted it already for him.

Yaa I've been checking the reports daily on there nothing new since the 23rd , I didn't know there was so many fishing websites I'm a little overwhelmed now I'm a member on 2 forums and can't stop checking and reading reports on website , I'm jones in to fish bad need boat back from shop !!! Just passed my boating test tho took 4hrs got 98%

Back