Shuswap Around Chase

Airon

Headed up to Chase for the weekend and bringing the boat up to do some fishing, and suggestions of good spots to start near Chase? Is it worth fishing Little Shuswap or should I head into Shuswap?

Shuswap is nearing it's peak and will have a ton of floating debris - boating warnings (i.e. advising folks stay off it for the next week or so) are on so be careful. If you risk it and assuming you launch in the main arm, lake is closed from Scotch Creek downstream through Little River and including the top 1/3rd of Little Shuswap this time of year. Bit of a run but Cinnemosun Narrows is always good as are many of the major points or bluffs down in that part of the lake.

Ukee

I was fishing on Shuswap Lake all weekend from Sicamous through Cinnemousin Narrows and the lake is actually pretty clean. Any boat warnings are probably just the usual regular cautionary messaging given high water. Yes there's the odd area of the lake with very small debris and saw some larger trees coming out from Sicamous but other than that the lake is a few feet below the high water mark so unless the water rises a few more feet to pull all that shoreline debris in the lake it's in really good shape.

Good to hear the debris is not too bad - The Shuswap River is the biggest source of debris and Mara Lake gets the brunt of it. Lake rose to the Mean Annual High Water Mark as of last Tuesday and is now a foot above the normal high water. Warmer temps, more rain throughout the region last night and forecast this week so likely looking at a couple more feet before it peaks.

Ukee

Thanks for all the info!
Not too concerned about debris as will be running a jetboat and used to typical debris as in Fraser this time of year.
Is it necessary to have downriggers to fish Shuswap successfully?
Looks to me like the area of Little Shuswap/Scotch creek area is now open but catch and release only?

Thanks for all the info!
Not too concerned about debris as will be running a jetboat and used to typical debris as in Fraser this time of year.
Is it necessary to have downriggers to fish Shuswap successfully?
Looks to me like the area of Little Shuswap/Scotch creek area is now open but catch and release only?

You can absolutely fish the Shuswap without downriggers especially this time of year with 2, 4 or 6 ounces of sliding weight, but let out at least 100 feet minimum of line before attaching the weight.

You're right the Adams River area is catch and release, if you want to keep a fish over 50 cm you'll have to fish past Wharf Road moving East, and need a stamp.

You can absolutely fish the Shuswap without downriggers especially this time of year with 2, 4 or 6 ounces of sliding weight, but let out at least 100 feet minimum of line before attaching the weight.

You're right the Adams River area is catch and release, if you want to keep a fish over 50 cm you'll have to fish past Wharf Road moving East, and need a stamp.

You could also go pick up a couple of "Deep Sixes" you attach them to your line, they plane at 45 degrees allowing you to get down deep without having to put out so much line

Back