Shucking Oysters

Finished Business

Shucking oysters. Or a term I used tonight, @#$%ing Oysters!!

What's the secret to avoid severe thumb and finger lacerations? What's the best way to shuck an oyster guys?? Cuz the technique I used didn't work so well this time with the oyster knife!

Fold a dish towel several times, put the oyster on the towel, fold it again, put your left hand on top of the oyster/towel sandwich, pop the hinge with your oyster knife.

Go to the oyster shop and buy a bucket of them shucked for about $12 for 15-25 oysters depending on the size.

If that doesn't work or you buy or pick them an get your self extra oyster knifes and tell your friends to shuck their own.

I use a large screw drive to split mine then a pairing knife to remove the oyster from the shell.

Good Luck,

The oyster always has a cupped side. If your a righty put the oyster fat side down in left. Poke knife in about inch and half up right side swing knife forward severing muscle and twist to pop open. Fast safe and efficient.

The oyster always has a cupped side. If your a righty put the oyster fat side down in left. Poke knife in about inch and half up right side swing knife forward severing muscle and twist to pop open. Fast safe and efficient.
Sorry but after many years in culinary schools the cupped side goes down. Saving the juice in the cupped side of the shell is key.

Fold a dish towel several times, put the oyster on the towel, fold it again, put your left hand on top of the oyster/towel sandwich, pop the hinge with your oyster knife.

It seems so obvious...now lol. usually the miss does them but I was left to fend for myself haha.

A trip to the freezer for a bit... helps too

Leather glove on your left hand and pry with the oyster knife into the abductor muscle. Some pop the hinge... but I find that harder to do.

Yes that's what I learned from my old friend the Itamae.

Sorry but after many years in culinary schools the cupped side goes down. Saving the juice in the cupped side of the shell is key.
Indeed!

Having a good knife helps too many have too small a handle.

throw on a med hot BBQ for 5-10 mins depending on size....
the top shell pops off easy, a little dab of butter and a shot of hot sauce
and down she go's.

If you do your oysters on the BBQ, make sure you use tin foil, or a sheet pan under them.
The salt will eat out your burners if you don't. BTDT,................BB

The salt will eat out your burners if you don't. BTDT,................

You got the right ! Found out the hard way .Now i use one of those tin foil trays . They work great

A commercial oyster shucker taught me this method. Place the oyster on a towel with the hinge facing you cup down. On the right side of the oyster is a soft spot beside the abductor muscle just past the midpoint of the oyster. Force the oyster knife straight down, it should go in quite easily. As the muscle is now right beside your blade just slice to sever. Less chance of damaging oyster. Once you master this method you will make quick work of your pile.;) eman

The salt will eat out your burners if you don't. BTDT,................

You got the right ! Found out the hard way .Now i use one of those tin foil trays . They work great

I've done shyteloads of oysters on my BBQ, a Napoleon. Stainless burners, stainless grills, they were never changed in 15 years of constant use.

I finally burned out the firebox in it and threw it away last fall and went and bought a new one. What a great BBQ.

Napoleons rock if you don't mind shelling out (no pun intended) $1200 bucks. I love the wavy grills. I settled for a Broil-Mate, which is a Broil King rebrand. Five years on the burners. Keep an eye on Home Depot flyers.;) eman

Lots of cool techniques....the BBQ'd oysters with butter n hotsauce sounds awesome.

Anyone have any other recipes worth trying. I prefer raw, and just normally do louisianna hot sauce and lime juice.

I will have to try the methodt as Eman mentioned...

even better a oyster shooter... they are very yummy.. clamato, hot sauce, vodka a touch of horse radish & a small yummie oyster.. very good :)

Back