Shotgun info???

Steelhead S2

New hunter alert! I'm having fun out in the field every weekend with my nice new rifle. No meat yet, but I am more confident every time I go out. Now, I have the opportunity to hunt a big farm in MU1-6, just teeming with meat --nice to know the right people. Trouble is, it's in the shot/bow area. And I have neither. So, if a guy was going to pick up a cheap used shotgun to take advantage of this opportunity, what would you get? And what kind of price?

Not looking for an heirloom here. Just something to feed the fam with. (I meant this to describe the gun, but it goes for the game too.)

Thanks guys!

New hunter alert! I'm having fun out in the field every weekend with my nice new rifle. No meat yet, but I am more confident every time I go out. Now, I have the opportunity to hunt a big farm in MU1-6, just teeming with meat --nice to know the right people. Trouble is, it's in the shot/bow area. And I have neither. So, if a guy was going to pick up a cheap used shotgun to take advantage of this opportunity, what would you get? And what kind of price?

Not looking for an heirloom here. Just something to feed the fam with. (I meant this to describe the gun, but it goes for the game too.)

Thanks guys!

I have 3 and im tagged out. You are more then welcome to borrow one if you want.

Lorne

I'm far from an expert on shotguns but here's a thought. If you become infected with the hunting-bug like most do once they try it, you're propbably going to be traveling all over hells half-acres and end up camping in serious bear-country sooner or later. The question is not 'if' you will have a significant run-in with a bear but 'when'?

A good reliable (read RELIABLE) camp bear-gun is an essential piece of equipment these days. My old #37 Ithaca 12-ga. pump has the words 'Bear Spray' written on the case. It goes camping with me and stays at the ready at all times.

Hard to beat a good 12-ga. pump with 1-oz. slugs for up-close & personal stuff. Bonus is you can knock over deer and ducks too.

Good luck.

remington 870. works in all weather conditions, totally reliable. slugs are the ticket here so add a slug barrel complete with ramp sites. not very expensive to do this and they work really well. lots of deer fell to this combo for me on the ag hunts down this way.

Remington 870 wingmaster - cheap, reliable and a bazzilion made. You can buy new, but if you go onto Canadian Gunnutz or HuntingBC, you can find them cheap. Make sure it has a full choke as you will be shooting 000 buck and the choke helps. If you can find one with a 3" chamber the better.

Others to look for are Mossberg 835 or 500, the Winchester super X or any good brand name pump.

Good luck, sounds like you are hooked......more toys will be needed...

Cheers

SS

Remmington 870 Express 12 ga. Older models required different choke tubes for shellshot and slugs. Not so sure about newer models. But the thing is as dependable as they get. I once took out three ducks in three shots within seconds.

None of the ducks could leave the water before being shot. Just boom,boom,boom. As fast as you can run the action, that thing will keep up.

Have to agree with Remington 870 pump. I have an older model. Had to have it adapted for screw in chokes and rechambered for 3" shells. Incredible duck and goose gun. At trap shoots I have had offers to buy just the barrel. Great all around gun and low, low maintenance.

i got a cooey mod 84 single shot 12g you can have for 50$. cheap little beater/good camp gun. in duncan

good point lorne.. i would rather have a kill than a wounded flapper...

good point lorne.. i would rather have a kill than a wounded flapper...

Ill go out on a limb and say you would be hard pressed to find anyone on this forum that kills anywhere the amount of ducks that i do in a year. I ground and water swat every once in a while. Usually when we are landing the first few ducks with a big group behind them that decides something isnt right and takes off, leaving the first ones on the ground... I get a hard time from the "ole timers" sometimes for it, making that very agrument that its not "sporting". I dead duck is a dead duck. tastes the same flying or on the ground. THe funny thing is for some reason people dont put ducks in the same catergory as deer or anything else.

IF you made a post saying " i had this 5x5 Mulie standing there at 50 yards and i yelled at him to stat running to make it more "sporting"" people would be all over you. But somehow for ducks its different....

So my thread got jacked???? Thanks for all the input and generous offers, both public and private. Keep it coming! $50 gun sounds about right, but I won't by down Duncan way for a while.

These are all good shotgun recommendations. Personally I prefer a break action shotgun for deer hunting as you can load and unload pretty much silently. Pumps can be loud depending on the model. Over and unders are great. First shot a slug then a “just in case” buckshot to follow.

P.s. Where I come from, shooting a sitting duck off the water would earn you a long walk home :) But... when it comes to shooting at a water surface with a gun....to each his own I guess. ( sorry to add to the high jack)

These are all good shotgun recommendations. Personally I prefer a break action shotgun for deer hunting as you can load and unload pretty much silently. Pumps can be loud depending on the model. Over and unders are great. First shot a slug then a “just in case” buckshot to follow.

P.s. Where I come from, shooting a sitting duck off the water would earn you a long walk home :) But... when it comes to shooting at a water surface with a gun....to each his own I guess. ( sorry to add to the high jack)

You cant shoot slugs in the bow/shotgun area..

Lorne

Why would shooting a sitting duck earn you a long walk home?

Lorne

Yup, just stating why I like the over and under where I have shotgun hunted in the past. I know the thread is for an island doe zone situation.....my mistake, sorry to confuse. Two barrels both with shot then.

Different ethics and beliefs I guess. Like I said...to each his own for each hunter and hunting party....... . If your within the laws, go do whatever you like.
No intention to ruffle any duck feathers here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Remington 870 is a great gun. Newer models can be found chambered for shells from 2 3/4" up to 3 1/2" and are available with a variety of screw in chokes. Good, reliable gun reasonably priced even new and if properly cared for will last forever. With the wide variety of shot & slugs and chokes can be used for anything from trap & skeet, upland game birds & waterfowl and where legal or larger animals.
There are better and far more expensive models & brands out there but this will do everything you need it to do. Sort of like the 30-06 of shot guns.

Yup, just stating why I like the over and under where I have shotgun hunted in the past. I know the thread is for an island doe zone situation.....my mistake, sorry to confuse. Two barrels both with shot then.

Different ethics and beliefs I guess. Like I said...to each his own for each hunter and hunting party....... . If your within the laws, go do whatever you like.
No intention to ruffle any duck feathers here.

No worries. I just like to hear people views when i here about shooting ducks that arent flying. Shooting a stationary sitting duck being unethical is just one i could never get my head around. Ethics is always touchy because they are subjective. But i think all hunters can agree that a good clean kill is what everyone strives for, regardless of the quarry. And from personal experience( of killing thosands of ducks), shooting a duck that is sitting will be dead on contact 9-10 times, where wingshooting, especially with steel, i would say 40% are still alive when i pic them up and need a neck wringing. Like i said earlier, i find it wierd that people think shooting ducks on the wing is the only "ethical" or "sporting" way to shoot waterfowl, where those same people would be all over you if you shot at deer running full tilit. Especially if you tried to sell your case that you shot the deer running becuase it was more "ethical" or "sporting" then him standing in one spot.

Lorne

the hijack reminds of when I was out guiding moose hunters.

had these two guys with me from down south and when we came around the corner, there was 4-5 grouse on the road, I got out, loaded up the semi, lined up and shot two birds with one shot, another one flew off and I ground sluiced another one, the rest flew off. When I got back to the truck, one fellow said "that was not very sporting, I should have stamped my feet or done something to get them to fly". I looked at him and said "I was not out here shooting them for sport, I was out here shooting them to eat......" never could understand why I could have 2-3 grouse in the perfect position rather than trying to wing shoot grouse on a narrow 4m wide road....

No matter how you do it, as long as the results are the same and it's legal, we should not be critisizing each other on the method......only the purest flychuckers can do that:eek::p

Now lets get back on target about shotguns.

Cheers

SS

Back