Shortening anchor line for hali fishing shallow water

Tips Up

Anyone found a way to shorten up anchor line for fishing in shallow water?

I have 400 ft of rope on system with pulley anchor puller system. Looking to fish some shallower spots 100 ish ft deep.
I know with the ring system you can have different length ropes that can be fastened together and I may have to rebuild my system this way but anyone have a solution using the anchor puller system?

Thanks
Tips

i do a figure 8 loop where i want to tie off the buoy, run it slack back to the boat. and that way the tag line still works. if it only say 50-100 of left over rode , loop it and tie it off at the buoy. hope this helps.

i do a figure 8 loop where i want to tie off the buoy, run it slack back to the boat. and that way the tag line still works. if it only say 50-100 of left over rode , loop it and tie it off at the buoy. hope this helps.
Thanks TW but I'm not sure I follow.
I have 1 length of 400 ft (might be 450). I want to anchor in 100 so I want to have out maybe 250 ft of rope. I don't have the option to tie figure 8 mid rode.

???

Or use a shackle and just wrap it inside a few times and put the pin in it so its not really a knot just some loops comes off easy and you dont tie any knots in your line. make sure ring is on other side....!!! LOL
then run whatever length you want back to your boat storing excess rope in your bucket

Sheepshank?kind of temporary but if you Google knots to shorten lines you will get a few options, one of which may work for you.

I use 200' lengths with nooses tied on the ends. I stuck a loop through a loop and then run the line through its own loop. This way I can select 200 400 or 600' length. It takes around 5 minutes to remove a section.
My knot ends are zip tied and then ekectrical taped over so they are smooth

Anchoring for Hali is not my thing, so I'm not speaking from experience. It would seem to me that an easy solution is possible. Cut your rope into two equal lengths with loops on the ends. Use an aluminum shackle that won't rust to connect the two sections. You'll have two keep a wrench handy to attach or remove the shackle, but I'm sure most people carry those kind of tools aboard anyways. Just a suggestion, but it would seem like a very easy and quick way of accomplishing what you want.

Thanks for suggestions.

Ahen and TBG, sections with connections work great for ring system. Not for puller system. That's my issue. With puller the rope slides over a pulley that is inside so knots ect. will not slip through.

I may try the creating a stopper with knot or shackle as suggested. Then fed out a tagline and add a loop or shackle where carabiner can be attached to slide up bow to stern. The rest of the rope can stay on board.
Or I may see if my rope can still be spliced in sections and convert to ring system

Thanks

Gotcha, as I said I was not that familiar with Hali anchoring systems. I've always preferred drifting. Now I understand why that wouldn't work with your puller.

I use a Prusik Knot. If you Google it it will show you how to tie it. It's made with a small loop of rope you can tie on anywhere in your line. Then I use a carabiner clip and anchor ring. I run my bow to stern line through the anchor ring so I can release from the anchor in an emergency. I have a 500 foot line and tie the prusik knot on at any spot in the line

I use a Prusik Knot. If you Google it it will show you how to tie it. It's made with a small loop of rope you can tie on anywhere in your line. Then I use a carabiner clip and anchor ring. I run my bow to stern line through the anchor ring so I can release from the anchor in an emergency. I have a 500 foot line and tie the prusik knot on at any spot in the line
prusiks a good one for sure. and won't tighten up making it difficult to untie.

after alot of screwin around with one long line , i bit the bullet and made up t 3 lengths ,with spliced loops on all ends ,
have them coiled and stored on deck , 450 - 300 -150 , so much easier to deal with , 300 most used " in my area " very low currents !!!
our hump depths are all over the map

do urself a favor , go to the 4 inch ring , WAY easier ,

just what works for me.....

m2b
fd

Last edited:
The EZ pulley system in the video won't allow to pull a length of chain through that is attached to the anchor so for me, if I was looking for a system, I'd go ring. The lock on that system clamps to hold on rope. I know Dave Murphy had a video showing the system he used and it was a pulley but surprizes me .....hand pulling that last 20' of chain and anchor.
Of course the ring not only handles the chain but holds the anchor under the float....... I suppose you still have to hand line in the chain tho with the ring system.

Last edited:
Back