Shorebound Fisherman

B

bman

Hello fellow fisherman.

As I mentioned, I do not own a boat but enjoy fishing very much. I mostly fish lakes for rainbows but lately I wanted to get out and do some saltwater fishing and crabbing.

I live in Victoria and I never fished saltwater before. I was wandering if you could give me some good locations where I can go crabbing from shore in the Victoria (south Island) area. I do own a crab trap and understand that chicken is good bait for crabs.

I saw people crabbing from the pier in Sidney few times and I was wandering if that is a good spot. Also, I was wandering is it safe to tie a cage to a pier for a couple of hours and leave it unattended.

Please tell me if you have any good pointers for a newbie fisherman.

Thank you all for your help. I am looking forward to reading your replies.

B. :)

My brother and I used to do very well when we were kids, wading around the boat launch in the eel grass at Cowichan Bay on a low tide. Usually, if you use a pyramid trap off a dock, or a ring style, you want to pull it every 20 minutes to get your crabs, they are a great way to load up veery quickly. I've left my traps un-attended, and had no problems but that was quite a while ago.

Sooke Harbour Marina was dynamite crabbing, but that mecca is gone. THere are lots of docks around where you can crab, find them in sandy/muddy bays. I'm sure I'll get strung up if I name a few here, but most docks will give you something as long as you have permission to go there. Give it a month or so for the crabs to replenish themselves as the summer crabbing pressure subsides.

Thank you for your prompt replies.

I should have been more specific about the trap I have. It is 3' round folding trap. It has feeding cage inside and I have about 100' of rope.

Thank you.

B.

quote:Originally posted by bman

Thank you for your prompt replies.

I should have been more specific about the trap I have. It is 3' round folding trap. It has feeding cage inside and I have about 100' of rope.

Thank you.

B.

It will get'r done, but you will have to wait longer for hte crabs to find their way in. Your trap is better for long sets, as the longer it takes them to get in, the longer it takes for them to get out. Try a hoop if you are docking it, it's a riot. On a day with clear water, you can watch the crab run onto the trap (the hoop, an old bike rim with some chicken wire across it is great), then pull him up.

Bait is pretty important. You may want to consider using salmon heads or herring etc for bait. Strap them well to the center of the trap so the crabs stay in the trap and feed on the bait which will give you a chance to haul them up. You can usually get free salmon heads and salmon 'bits' from any Thrifty Foods seafood department. Just ask!

I think the best bait my buddy and I have used is the carcass from an Albacore tuna. It's so freakin oily and stinky.

I get a couple of those a year from a buddy who commercially fishes them so I always save the carcass for crab fishing.

quote:Originally posted by Robert Warren

KFC is fantastic too!!

One of my favorite halibut baits as well. Though I usually naw the meatier and tastier parts off before hooking up.:D Leaves a great smoke trail in water if you leave lots of skin.

C lyse...

halibut bait? Are you joking? If not...I have to try.

Or can I resist not eating my bait....

The powder warf or James Island warf in Sydney is an excellent crabbing spot. If you want to catch fish from shore, you may want to try Beechy Head, it's a bit of a hike to get to the water but you always get fish, greenlings and rock cod mostly with the odd salmon thrown in for good measure. Let me know if your going, maybe I'll come along.

Back