Shore coho fly fishin

Hi people! Am trying to get started in fly fishin for coho along the beaches. Have a 8/9 weight rod. Looks like distance casting will probably be required. Any advice on type of fly line to get? I don't tie flies and have to purchase. Any special ones should have or is piece of wool good??

Thanks for any info..

I use an Outbound floating. Often the fish are in shallow. I also carry a 10ft T8 leader for going a little deeper when they're not.

Last two coho's I caught were an a very simple fly that is mainly red wool with a bit of flash. Sizes 6-8. Lots of flies work, just have to get it in front of them.

I use a clear intermediate sink type 3 for my beach fishing line. Floaters work too.

Go see Courtney at the Nile creek fly shop. He'll get you dialed in.

Switch rods are pretty great for distance casting. If I was super serious about beach fishing I'd likely add one of those to my arsenal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second the Rio Outbound reco. Try one that is one line weight lighter than your rod first. And when you cast these lines, do not try to false cast repeatedly. Just get the head in the air and let it shoot.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

I always used a clear intermediate line.
I used various flies but the most consistent fly was a California Neil. I usually tied mine with a gold bead head.

02fca80dfc17273f687efedf0dfaa077.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the rio outbound short for a couple years, it does cast nice especially when its brand new. I have however, found for myself the running line a little thin, and tangles when I try to shoot a lot of line. Also the coating wasn't very durable (cracking / splitting), I do put my lines use many days of the year, so they do get some abuse. This year I switched this year to a Snowbee XS switchline (200 grain) floater, I use it on my 7 wt single hander and it is awesome. Casts a mile, floats nice and high, and seems to be a little more durable so far. Courtenay at Nile Creek has this line as well and should be able to help you size it.

the Airflo forty plus series 'extreme distance' is a great line for beach fishing, punches out heavy weighted flies with no issues and is good in a head or cross wind with its short head, the short head also is great for a fast pick-up. The clear intermediate tip is great all around.

i use the full floating on my 8wt and make my own welded loop then keep a 10ft intermediate clear tip, 10ft T-8 tip and a 6ft T-14 tip.

for flies, blue/chartreuse colours with lots of flash size 6 is what i find works best

Back