Shellfish in the broken islands?

Sea lyin’

Buddy of mines booked 3 days in the 1st week of august in Ukee. His first time so he’s got a lot of questions. I can help with most but he’s wondering about digging clams In the broken island group. I never have and never thought about it so I’m wondering too. Can you find them there? Oysters? I doubt it eh? Guy from Catalla Charters in Port Hardy told me about 10 years ago that north of about the 50th parallel oysters won’t grow at all? I’m non stop fishing whenever I’m there so I can’t help him on this one.

I've never dug any clams up or picked any oysters. But I can tell you they deffintly grow in the sound. When we were at secret beach a few years ago they have a big bed of oysters that all the campers were enjoying. A few of the beaches I was on last month had clam mounds all over them and muscles galore.

Thanks for the info. I’ll tell him they are there but he’ll have to hunt them up himself.

Hand Island was covered in oysters last time I was there. I watched a guy eat some straight off the beach. I waited a few hours, he seemed fine, and figured it was all clear. We had an fantastic feast to kick off our week of camping.

View attachment 66531
Yeah I’m not sure august is best time to be harvesting oysters but I’ll pass that info on too

Little neck clams are the most tender and flavourful, and they're the first clams you'll find, only 2-4" below the surface. If you don't find lots of clams in the first few forkfuls, move location either higher or lower on the beach. There's a sweet spot where they get the right balance of time underwater and out of water, but typically they're roughly halfway (vertically speaking) between high and low water marks.

Once you find clams, don't dig further down. If you keep digging down you'll get the larger but tougher butter and manilla clams. Better to keep digging wider and stay shallow. Don't keep anything smaller than a loonie, let those grow up for next year.

Best tool is a 3 prong garden fork, the type you use with one hand. Bring 2 buckets, one for collecting and one to hold clams you've washed off. Back at camp, do another rinse with fresh water and then cover them with fresh water. A handful of oatmeal will help to settle out fine grit from incomplete washing. If you're cooking them whole in shell with other ingredients, you have to be obsessive about cleaning, no one likes a gritty meal. Watch especially for empty shells filled with sand/mud but look like a good clam. I test every single one with a fingernail to make sure it's not a hand grenade.

The old rules... only harvest shellfish in months that have an r in it.. check the regs..
August is usually not in the cards for safe harvesting.

Little neck clams are the most tender and flavourful, and they're the first clams you'll find, only 2-4" below the surface. If you don't find lots of clams in the first few forkfuls, move location either higher or lower on the beach. There's a sweet spot where they get the right balance of time underwater and out of water, but typically they're roughly halfway (vertically speaking) between high and low water marks.

Once you find clams, don't dig further down. If you keep digging down you'll get the larger but tougher butter and manilla clams. Better to keep digging wider and stay shallow. Don't keep anything smaller than a loonie, let those grow up for next year.

Best tool is a 3 prong garden fork, the type you use with one hand. Bring 2 buckets, one for collecting and one to hold clams you've washed off. Back at camp, do another rinse with fresh water and then cover them with fresh water. A handful of oatmeal will help to settle out fine grit from incomplete washing. If you're cooking them whole in shell with other ingredients, you have to be obsessive about cleaning, no one likes a gritty meal. Watch especially for empty shells filled with sand/mud but look like a good clam. I test every single one with a fingernail to make sure it's not a hand grenade.
Keeping them in the dark (covered) helps too. We always steam them with some white wine and then strain the liquid before adding that to the rest of the pasta sauce or dipping broth. Never heard of the oatmeal thing, I'll give it a shot!

Back