Diving for Clams - Staying on the right side of the law

The Skeptic

Last year I got big into freediving and hand harvesting Crabs and cucumbers where legal to do so.
On a recent dive in a shallow bay, I discovered a field of gapers. The bay was open at the time but has since closed. Presumably, it will open again though.
It got me thinking though, can I hand harvest underwater?
They are so easy to find and so near the surface you could expose them pretty quickly.
This feels like a no-brainer but there are so many intricacies to shellfish harvesting I figured I should ask.
I tried looking online and on the DFO app but I never got a strong answer either way. Only videos of commercial divers digging geoducks with a water jet.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Notes on specific shellfish​

Clam​

• It is illegal to use any mechanical apparatus or dredge for harvesting clams
  • Clam harvesters are encouraged to fill in holes to reduce predation on exposed juvenile clams

Notes on specific shellfish​

Clam​

• It is illegal to use any mechanical apparatus or dredge for harvesting clams
  • Clam harvesters are encouraged to fill in holes to reduce predation on exposed juvenile clams
Wonder if they consider dive gear a mechanical apparatus… meaning free diving only. Just another dfo grey area.

Send an email to DFO with your specific question. I've done this a couple of times on different topics and they've always responded and then you have something on "paper" should you ever be questioned..

Back