Shaw services

no way I'm locking into anything...the world is spinning to fast these days;bundle & bargain is the way to go,make your own deal,I never pay the sticker price.:D

Tells you how much they suck when nearly every post has been negative from many people. I can't imagine loocking in for 3 years i.e.scary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spring Velocity:- why watch digital channels and not HD?

The HD cannel listings are sometimes a bit different than the standard channels. So if you see a program you want to tape on HD and it's on at 9pm for example.......you can check the regular channel and in some cases it's on earlier or at a different time. So you can tape and still watch it at 9pm.

BeauDog:- haven't had a single problem with computer speed with Telus Optik.....unlike Shaw which bogged me down on many an occasion because too many people on the block were logged in.

I have a 3 year contract......but I'm not likely moving anywhere for 3 years so it's not bothering me......

I watch HD channels. That's what I am getting at I don't see why any of us have to pay for a bunch of digital channels. I am only interested in HD ones.. That is all I watch. And yes I PVR and there is still jack shxx on...Its gotten worse last few years..

They keep moving crap round to get you to increase your cable bill... Trust me keep track of your channels and watch how many of them you don't have as time goes on... But hey for extra $10.00 more you can have them...Then they do it again..and again until you get your cable over $200.00... I know some with cable bills as high as $300.00 can you imagine?

What we need is a cable network where you can choose channels you want to see with no contracts and all the add on crap.... Why do you think so many are flocking to internet...

CTV and Global are the worst channels to watch........I thought a law was passed sometime ago that on Canadian channels the volume would be the same for commercials and also regular programming.

That hasn't happened......when watching Blacklist or Scandal I have to crank the home theater audio up to mega levels to even understand what the actors are saying. Then when the commercials come on I have to crank it way down (if it isn't' taped). There are many shows where they've screwed with the audio to mute it down.

CTV has also figured out that people tape shows...so they run these infuriating pop-up and slider ads during the show...which completely ruins watching the show.

I avoid CTV and Global at all cost if I possibly can. CTV has turned watching TV into a complete **** experience on their channel.

Nothing is free with Telus. I called them today and you can have a Free Rental PVR when you sign up based on 3 years. But they still own it. And after your contract is up you will also be paying a rental fee for the PVR on top of your increased rate plan.

That Sucks...

wrong......rental is still free. I'm over 4 years on my 3 year plan.....still free PVR rental.

When you call Telus press 2 for French, and you will get someone in Canada that speaks English. Also if you ever have a repair or order done by a Telus Employee, get their business card. They are required to leave one. You now have a direct contact in your area. It you ever have an issue call and ask for Loyalty and Retention's...they are the only ones that can really help you out with pricing. The big companies want to, "own the home"...meaning they want you to have TV, internet and Home Phone with them....they don't want to share it. Use that to your advantage, you can swing deals these days.

I dont see the drawback to locking in for 3 years,people get scared to lock in, same with cell phones, but honestly do you see yourself without a phone internet or tv in the next three years?.. I do miss my direct tv n bell expressview tho.. Just really sick of the shaw monopoly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River Rat, you know your quoting me on info that almost 4 years old. :)

Things change....... Do you even have to pay for your Telus services?

I dont see the drawback to locking in for 3 years,people get scared to lock in, same with cell phones, but honestly do you see yourself without a phone internet or tv in the next three years?.. I do miss my direct tv n bell expressview tho.. Just really sick of the shaw monopoly.

Shaw monopoly???
I find SHAW just GREAT
Always there with someone who speaks English in CANADA to help when you need it.
I use Shaw for telephone AND internet and find there rates to be competitive!!
TELUS HAD A MONONOPLY FOR YEARS and poor service at high rates.
Telus now offer low ball rates but when you finish the trial period up go the rates and the same old poor service.
That's my take....
I never will leave SHAW

Shaw monopoly???
I find SHAW

They know they have most customers by the short n curlys, that why that can take all the best channels on tv and split them into tiers , you want all the good channels you need all all three tiers, currently our bill for upstairs and downstairs for tv n internet is around 200 a month...

Just a heads up: a buddy of mine is a "computer guy" and I was going to dump Shaw and go to Telus too. Then he told me that the Telus internet service is not very good; apparently quite unstable and slows down during periods of heavy use (like the old days of dial up)

Maybe things have improved but we decided to stick it out with Shaw for now. (Painful as it is)

There is no way you will get 3 Mb/s downloads on telus. Stuck with shaw for now.

There is no way you will get 3 Mb/s downloads on telus. Stuck with shaw for now.

Yup, and if you have gamers in the house, they will all tell you Shaw speed is better. For me though, I like to keep costs down and would like to at least try Telus, but if they muck around with the Shaw stuff and I eventually switch back to Shaw that would be a problem. Is it worth the hassle of switching back and forth to get the 6 month deals?

Is it worth the hassle of switching back and forth to get the 6 month deals?

Apparently not according to my buddy, after the deal is over the price is the same as shaw.
they aren't REALLY gIving away free T.V's
Cost's have to be re-cooped somehow

River Rat, you know your quoting me on info that almost 4 years old. :)

Things change....... Do you even have to pay for your Telus services?

Even four years ago, that was incorrect.... However.... U may have got a rep from Manila.
I get 40% off on home phone, TV and Internet. Nothing for cell phone.

Shaw
TELUS HAD A MONONOPLY FOR YEARS and poor service at high rates.

Back in the day when Canadian Telcos had a monopoly, everything was regulated by the CRTC, including pricing. In those days installation and monthly service were cheap. ALL repairs were free. These costs were kept low, because everything was subsidized by long distance. If a Telco applied for a rate increase the CRTC would check complaints and service records. If these were poor, then no rate increase until improvements were made. When the monopoly ended and competition was introduced, especially long distance, costs went up in everything but long distance, because the costs of doing business were no longer subsidized by long distance.
So now we can choose are service providers, search for the best deals, even bargain with the reps. All these companies are in it for the $$. Their first concern is for the shareholder.......always will be. Shop wisely.

Everyone posting that they are cutting their cable because "you can get it online for free now", that may be true for Canadian content, but my experience is most content still requires various "work-arounds" to get it that usually require exposing you to copy-write infringement. So for many people, cutting cable has other costs. Annoying.

FR, Just to clarify a tv box plays all movies, tv shows (NOT JUST CANADIAN) and PPV to your television for free. There are no work-arounds most are plug and play. Your total one time cost 150-200 dollars depending on which box you purchase FWIW my next one shortly will be Android Skystream x4 Quad, there are never any further payments whatsoever after the initial purchase.As far as being exposed to copy-write infringement not at all.You are only streaming and viewing the movie or tv show. You are not in possession of an illegal copy written files on your computer.The files you are watching are never on your hard drive.You are simply streaming it from an internet source.Once you are done watching the TV show or movie it is not stored on your hard drive.You have simply streamed some media and done nothing illegal. best j.j.

Back