Shared fishing..camping?

As I'm sure over the years everyone that is logged into this web site has either run into or thought about the issue I am about to bring up.
Let me just put my 2 cents in first and everyone can add to it...as I am sure there will be pros and con up the wazzo.
With the economy the way it is...there are a lot of people on the mainland/interior/Alberta/all over the country, that just can't afford the fishing that west coast residents have.
Fuel prices. .ferry rates...Island people that rely on tourists...things are not going to change in the near future.
I for one would love to come back to the Island year after year...
Camping...boat launch...moorage...ferry...two trips from interior...one for boat...one for travel trailer...the trip across the pond gets pricey.
I am not even going to get into a !@#@$% contest with the ones that want to say stay home...that's not what this thread is about.
There are people out here with the same interests as ours that have all the toys that west coast people do....
I for one think we should start a page to see if we could come up with something...I know there are people on the Island that hunt...want to bring there families inland.
Sharing boats and trailers is a touchy thing...everyone has an itch when it comes to letting anyone use there toys .
I'm sure with the right guidelines there could be a benefit for someone?

?????

Post up what you have to offer someone and what you are looking for in return. I'm sure it has been done before. I know guys will trade a salmon or halibut day for a sturgeon day. You may have trouble trying to get someone to "lend" you their boat, but if you were a proficient hunter, and knew where the moose were, you could easily trade 2 days of "guided" hunting trip for 2 days of fishing on the salt.

Post up what you have to offer someone and what you are looking for in return. I'm sure it has been done before. I know guys will trade a salmon or halibut day for a sturgeon day. You may have trouble trying to get someone to "lend" you their boat, but if you were a proficient hunter, and knew where the moose were, you could easily trade 2 days of "guided" hunting trip for 2 days of fishing on the salt.

Well said Dave.

I would gladly go with a "guided trip" trade. Great idea and a great potential way for me to introduce my son to hunting (which he wants) with someone that know the area. Similar to heading out on the ocean fishing - without knowing the area, safety issues, etc - not a good idea.

Un licensed big game guiding in this province has been an issue for years. I for one have to much invested in all my gear that has taken me 40+ years to get.
Loosing it all for a GUIDED HUNT? ...not going to happen.
Even the thought of talking about it in this computer driven world scares the crap out of me.
Fish guiding and big game are a bit different....charter owners would agree I'm sure...you take me out....they loose money..
I can set someone up with a wall tent that's very comfortable...all the toys to go with it...in a multitude of places in our Okanagan area.
For moose?...good luck...unless you have a draw nobody worth there salt is going to tell you where immature bulls are.
Whitetail...mule deer...there like rodents where we hunt.
Camping...fishing....18 foot Malibu...changed over to fishing machine...20ft nash travel trailer...12 ft aluminium boat....electric motor or 9.9 Honda o/b...arctic cat quad ...converted for hunting and hauling things...tarps cables ropes genset....there is nothing that anyone could want that I don't have.
Suggestions can be made where to go...maybe even a visit for a coffee?
As I said in the original post...I'm just throwing this out there to see if horse trading is a viable thing for some of us that just hate BC FERRY rates.

No one is guiding anyone for anything. Whether it be fish or wild game. There is nothing that says friends can't get together to fish or hunt. Leave it at that.

Ah...proverbial son speaks...he is right to a point...and I totally agree...everything is interpretation.
Agreeing to do a guided hunt is like putting an axe on your foot and saying oops?

Last edited by a moderator:
interesting thread seems that" you have all the toys that anyone could want" and your worried about ferry rates? makes no sense to me, you gotta pay to play kinda reminds of the boat saying "bring out another thousand.

Your missing the point of the thread...It's not what you have...It's what can you share...and trust me I for one knows what BOAT stands for

Back