Shaft length for 23 Hourston pod

Thanks for this. I ran into Bill hourston in secret cove this summer and his comment was "they were all built exactly the same"...not from what I've seen either.

Ha I know that’s not true I have had the floor up on a couple of 23’s One only had fibreglass halfway up the stringers. And it looked like the counter was made out of pallet scraps. Nice hulls and nice lines Visually. I think the quality control was pretty low in the factory.

I went with a 30in DF250 for my 228 Seafarer as I had to modify the pod bracket anyway and was told the 30 inch sits higher and dryer out of the water. Glad I did no regrets.

23 ft boat is a small boat

Only reason anyone would need to add weight to the stern of a podded boat is if they did a hull extension pod. Big no no

25 inch shaft is best.

My 2cents

Moving your power head 5 inches up is unlikely to change the CG of an 6-8000lb boat much more than a box of beverages in a cooler. In my opinion 30" > 25" everyday with no real world concern for the slight change in CG. Now Delta pads and stepped pods are an interesting question usually ignored because they are only worth single digit fuel economy gains. Steven Pollard in Aluminum boat building hints at the pluses of the Delta pad including ride and fuel economy.

Ha I know that’s not true I have had the floor up on a couple of 23’s One only had fibreglass halfway up the stringers. And it looked like the counter was made out of pallet scraps. Nice hulls and nice lines Visually. I think the quality control was pretty low in the factory.
Probably raised and lowered with cash flow.. Oh.. we have materials again!
Airline I worked for sometimes if we needed flat bar we cut it out of angle.

I have a hull extension pod and run a 30" shaft with a 6" jack plate on a 20' Hourston.
If you go 30" shaft you can always move the engine up on the mounting holes but hard to make a 25 any longer without getting the exhaust housing close to the static water line. This is why boat modifications are so much fun!
PS i started with a 25 and had to get it extended!
my 2 cents, good luck.

Back