SFI- Halibut anouncement

Derby

Crew Member
Halibut 2012

August 23, 2012
Halibut 2012

The Labour Day long weekend is nearly upon us, and unfortunately we must report that DFO will soon be announcing the closure of the recreational halibut fishery in BC. After some discussion, DFO has concluded that recreational anglers will have caught their 15% allocation effective September 9th, 2012. While we can't disagree with their catch projections, and are disappointed that the management measure utilized to slow harvest, the one normal size one under 83cm experiment, was not nearly successful as hoped, we can only interpret the closure as further evidence of the failure of the allocation model.

Sadly, the decision will have a significant impact on hundreds of charter boat operators in coastal communities who will sacrifice significant economic opportunities for a modest catch reduction.

Last year's closure announcement came days before the long weekend and resulted in a spike in catch effort that created an unanticipated catch overage for the recreational sector. This was to be expected when one considers that anglers legitimately wanted to get one last chance at fishing before the season was closed. Unfortunately DFO seems poised to repeat this mistake.

We will undoubtedly spend much of the winter working to find new approaches to dealing with halibut allocation.

For more information contact:

Sport Fishing Institute of BC
t: 604.946.0734
w:www.sportfishing.bc.ca
e: info@sportfishing.bc.ca

The SFI Team,
Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia

Thank you for your support. Your contributions helps us work on behalf of the industry.

Just curious..but exactly how much extra season did we get as a result of the 83cm rule? One would've thought that with the 15% allocation and the 83cm rule the season would've lasted into October at least....

My south island halibut effort at least trippled over last year why are people saying there has been less boats out? For salmon yea for hali's... I don't know probably not.

That halibut seminar gave a lot of guys confidence and some motivation to get out there on the south island. I'm not surprised by the closure even with the extra 3% we got and the 83cm rule our total TAC DECREASED from last year so it's expected the season would be around the same length. Strange isn't it 12% last year was worth more then 15% this year. Next year we probably need another 3% increase to keep pace otherwise the 2013 season might be even shorter.

Just curious..but exactly how much extra season did we get as a result of the 83cm rule? One would've thought that with the 15% allocation and the 83cm rule the season would've lasted into October at least....[/QUOTe

The numbers haven't really been broken down yet... so we cannot really tell if or what impact the 83 cm rule had.... what I can say it's my understanding that the Victoria Sooke area did increase there numbers and the charlottes... maybe less fish but a lot of anchoring and harvesting of bigger animals perhaps ..just a personal guessimate :)

Maybe it's a sign of a decreasing poplulation. I don't care if the regs extended the season or not! It's about the freaking fish people! I want Halibut populations to succeed and grow....not just be "maintained". Maintaining all fish stock is a fools game. If it's closed too early this year...good, even better for the next year!

Maybe it's a sign of a decreasing poplulation. I don't care if the regs extended the season or not! It's about the freaking fish people! I want Halibut populations to succeed and grow....not just be "maintained". Maintaining all fish stock is a fools game. If it's closed too early this year...good, even better for the next year!

My understanding is it's a decrease in biomass not population that reduced the TAC this season. There are more fish but they are of much smaller size. It's an issue of allocation of available stock not conservation.

Personally I was not affected by the 83cm rule (all I caught was 1 chicken) but I was hoping to make another trip late September which now I can't do.

My boat caught 7 small halis before the end of July this year. I'm pleased. Anyone who was counting on getting halibut much after Labour Day was dreaming. The 83cm concession was just to get us to then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I was dreaming of getting back what we used to have... So let me get this straight it seems like there are lot of comments from guys saying they are happy with one per day and a short season... I am missing something? Why can't we have it back to two per day open year round?

I fish all year round.I caught a few small halibut and don't have enough for the winter...So I guess that is my problem now...

Next year is a new season and we will see what it bring once all the numbers have been looked at..... :)

What tubber said........ if you don't have enough Halibut maybe you should have got out and got some when it was open.

Without the over under halibut would have been closed at the start of August

I got a few unders released 2 of them kept 1 and there were two others that I kept but did not measure that would have been close.

Lots of under's down here...
Chickens galore !
released 2 , lost 2 and bonked 2 today all between 15 and 28 lbs.
was looking for something bigger, but theres always tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I landed 1 that was under lipp hooked sent back down to pack some weight on, lucky for me if it was hooked bad yes would have to of bitten the bullet and kept it, was hoping derby was onboard cause it would have been his :D

any size taste yummy :)

Back