SFBC Braggarts Fishing Derby

Matt, the cheapest way to make it is to cast it from aluminum. I checked out Smith Foundry in Vict. They told me to find a plastic banana to use in the molding process. I want to find one that is larger than a real banana...there should be something out there like that. They figure only a hundred bucks if we can find something to use as the mold. Then I could get it powder coated to look like a real banana. To fab something up from scratch will be quite expensive in aluminum or stainless.

Sounds good Rollie. A better idea indeed. Knew the fab from scratch would be a few bucks. Not a huge deal, but if it helps my buddy has an oven and does my powder coating projects for free (white and black only though) if that helps any. Time is less and less on my side these days between being short staffed and #2 ready to pop into the world but if you need a hand with things, happy to help. Give me a scream...... Taking a mental health day:rolleyes: Friday to chase steel but around this week other than that.

Rollie, it all sounds great to me...Not having to haul down my boat from Nanaimo would help a ton, plus I think Matt still owes me a fish in his sea sport wink wink...

Indeed I do Shane!! My hali luck was lacking last year but did find a few nice new holes right at the last week of the season plus the ol' gal had to be rebuilt so you didn't miss much. Space may be a bit of a premium in terms of crashing at the pad as we have another little one on the way but sure we can work something out.

Sleeping arrangements are minor, the fishing is the important part =)....Matt if you want to fish in that derby, and have space for one I will be more than happy to fish on that beautiful sea sport. I promise I bring good luck.

A group of 5 of us met today for lunch to discuss the derby and settle on some important first steps. We decided that the name of the derby will be "U Da Man Derby" or "You The Man Derby"...lol. It will be held on Saturday and Sunday, April 20th and 21st. Pedder Bay Marina will host the derby and Martin Paish the marina manager is going to put together some really good deals for those who make use of the marina facilities. He mentioned moorage, launching and camp ground deals for those who participate. I will let him follow up with those specifics. We decided on a 2 day derby with fishing from daylight until 4pm on Saturday and from daylight until 1pm on Sunday. We will be soliciting local merchants to donate prizes which will all be awarded by draw to those who register a fish. So a 6 pounder has an equal chance to win a prize as a 20 pounder. There will be custom made trophies for both the person weighing in the largest salmon and also the largest halibut. All proceeds from the entry fees will be donated to the Southern Vancouver Anglers Coalition. Entry fees will be as follows. Single fisherman in a boat $100.00, 2 fishermen to a boat $75.00 each, 3 or 4 fishermen to a boat $50.00 each. This will encourage locals with room for others on their boats to fill those seats with guests from out of town. We want this to be a fun event and hopefully we can attract many from up Island to come down to the south Island and fish with the local experts. Having said that we aren't discouraging anyone from bringing their own rigs down. We just want to make it easy for those who don't want to bring their boats down for the weekend. The Souther Vancouver Angler Coalition will also offer anyone who is registered in the derby an annual membership to their society for $20.00 which is a 50% savings over the normal cost. It must be purchased on either Saturday or Sunday to qualify for the discount. We have secured the Hermann's Jazz Bar for a PRIVATE party on Saturday night, April 20th. A well know local band "Consenting Adults" will provide the live dance music. So bring your significant others along for the weekend and let them run wild in Victoria with your credit cards while you fish!!! lol There was some discussion about having some food catered into the bar as well. This would allow everyone to finish fishing on Saturday, take their time getting cleaned up, find their ladies and then come down to the bar for dinner and the nights party. We will have a small cover charge to cover the costs of the band and any food. The derby wrap up at this time is proposed to be at Pedder Bay Marina after the scale closes on Sunday. We need to ensure there will be enough space to set up some tents on site. Martin also committed to having some form of barbecued food available at that time as well for those at the closing ceremonies. I might have missed a few details but I'm sure much more will be passed along in the coming weeks. Kelly was asked to create a separate thread with a sticky for the event. I'm sure he will let you know once that is done. So I see this as an excellent opportunity to raise some money for a good cause, have a really fun weekend and dust of the boats and RV's for an early start to the 2013 summer fishing season. We will let you know when tickets are printed and where to get them. I did volunteer to mail them to those from out of town as I did for the halibut seminar.

Way to take the bull by the horns Rollie!

I am 100% in if anyone needs a deck hand. THe wife loves the part about running wild in vic with my credit cards

Lorne

Good work boys!

Hey, how about calling it - "THE KINGFISHER DERBY"?

Just tell the ladies it's named after the 'bird' to avoid any gender ****.

Could see this morphing into a spectacular annual event.

Terry, I think the boys decided the trophy will be the "You The man Trophy". My two suggestions were Just For The Bananas or Top Banana but you know what happens in a democracy. ;)

I like the 'Top Banana' too! Sadly, the English language is going down the tubes...

I'm only one guy and 'my opinion means' nothin' (John Melloncamp) but correct me if I'm wrong; 'You the Man Trophy' is not only bad-English, it's also poor slang, nor does it flow from the tongue easily and has no connectivity with fishing.

Impulsive I think.

Just my 2-bits as I wasn't at the meeting.

I'm only one guy and 'my opinion means' nothin'

That just means you aren't saying it LOUD enough! lol

Hmmm....this could be fun haha I'M IN!!
I like the banana trophy idea. Top Banana is great...or the 'Brown Banana'. haha

We are quite excited about this opportunity of getting the SFBC family together for a fun event and on top for a great cause. We down here will try our best to be good hosts this year. Pedder Bay will also offer their 16 and 17' rental boats at significant discounts for participants - so that is an option too for folks who can't find a ride.

We could need a couple or three more guys/gals help organizing. If someone feels inclined? Especially people with connections who can bring in nice prizes from sponsors. We should get at least 3 real nice prizes for the draw winners like getaways etc and it could well be non-fishing packages like a golf package or so. If you think you can help and want to please send me a PM.

Im with you Terry. I am not for that name. I think we as a group should be given a few options to poll on since we have some time to decide. Anyone second or third this motion?

-KK

third....... Not a fan of "You The Man Derby". What happens if I bring my girl and she wins it? She is definitely not a man!

just in case you don't believe me......... 6 months pregnant too.
IMG_0025.JPG

Some more ideas .......

Ultimate Angler Challenge

The Hot Shot Fishing Tournament

The Top Banana Sport Fishing Contest

third....... Not a fan of "You The Man Derby". What happens if I bring my girl and she wins it? She is definitely not a man!

just in case you don't believe me......... 6 months pregnant too.
IMG_0025.JPG

You cant tell me that if your wifey won she wouldn't like to say she was the man.......... Holding the Banana Cup...

But wait.. She wont be holding the banana cup.............. I will.............
ninja.gif

:p

How about we stick to the root of the whole deal? Keep it short, simple and to the point.

THE 'A.C.' DERBY (ANGLERS COALITION)

Terry respectively this is more or less set up as a SFBC fun event with a good cause attached. What ever the name is it should fall into the context of the goal of the derby...FUN!!! So I'm for a less serious name what ever that turns out to be.

Back