Setting Up a Go Pro On My Boat-Suggestions?

Chasin' Dreams

I've seen some cool Go Pro fishing vids on Youtube where guys have mounted the cameras on the back deck of their boats to record their days fishing trips. I think this is a great idea and I want to put one on my boat.

Has anybody done this and if so can you offer any advice on what model to get, mounts needed, etc?
Also wondering how long they record for or if there is different models that can record for the whole day or if you need to download the video after a certain amount of time then re start it?

I've seen they also have waterproof models and poles you can attach them to so you can put the camera in the water and take video of the fish in the water. I'd like to be able to do that too so if it's possible I'd like to be able to take the camera off the boat mount then put it on a pole I can then lower into the water.

I think this would be really great for all types of fishing; Salmon, Tuna, Sturgeon etc.

I've been using one for a couple of years now. I've mounted various static holders around the boat, but, now have found that the "selfie stick" mounted into a rod rocket launcher is great as you can move it quickly around the boat. Mounts are cheap so I bought a half dozen different types. Also the Scotty camera mount works well for GoPro and it can be bolted down and has a gimble for adjustments. Get 3-4 extra batteries as the "blue tooth" sucks up batteries fast. Make sure you get the GoPro with the remote as you can switch the camera on and off quickly. I have the 12 volt plug in charger on the boat to keep lots of batteries charged up.

I've been using one for a couple of years now. I've mounted various static holders around the boat, but, now have found that the "selfie stick" mounted into a rod rocket launcher is great as you can move it quickly around the boat. Mounts are cheap so I bought a half dozen different types. Also the Scotty camera mount works well for GoPro and it can be bolted down and has a gimble for adjustments. Get 3-4 extra batteries as the "blue tooth" sucks up batteries fast. Make sure you get the GoPro with the remote as you can switch the camera on and off quickly. I have the 12 volt plug in charger on the boat to keep lots of batteries charged up.
Awesome info Pescador thank you. I'm in Vancouver can you recommend where is the best place to buy it from and all the holders, extra batteries etc.
Very cool can't wait to set it up!

I set up an account with GoPro and do it all on line. However, London Drugs has most of what you need as does Best Buy. I took it one step further this year and bought a Phantom Vision 2 3.0 drone and plan to film some trips on the West Coast using its footage mixed with my GoPro footage. You will love the GoPro. You need to study the manual as there are so many options you will need to learn about. Also, get a hard shell case to carry it. I bought a Pelican from London Drugs.

Hey cd. Just starting doing the gopro thing a couple weeks ago. I picked up a couple silver 3's. I set one up to film the back deck and the other is free hand. The one for the back deck is typically on a gooseneck with clamp mount so I can put it anywhere and still get an upright shot Without having to adjust on settings. The other one I use the float style selfie stick. I have 4 batteries and a backpack ( used for the back deck camera). I usually use the Bluetooth to set up the deck shot and shut the Bluetooth off after that to conserve battery. Straight filming I usually get 2.5 to 3 hrs with Bluetooth off. It's easy enough to turn off and on. If you want good sound use the skeleton back door. Also, I haven't bought it yet but my buddy has a ram suction Cup mount that he uses for racing and it seems to stick well although he doesn't encounter chop on land lol. Whereabouts in van are you? Are you moored? I could meet up and show u my set up and you could dry fit mounts on your rig before spending the money on them.

...- however I am starting to investigate other options that are more encompassing in that I would like to have live control over the various feeds. I will use a Go Pro or similar underwater and the top side utilize a myriad of WiFi cameras that feed directly to dedicated server computers which under certain conditions can record the live action, but also send a live streaming feed from the water to my dedicated website.

In theory, I have this all down pat and will be implementing my system sometime in the not too distant future. I did a small test last year with smart phone & smart camera access...it was ok, but I will be doing on board file conversion prior to sending the streaming file to the land based server. I am working with FFMPEG and other modern peer to peer tools.

Anyhoo, that is the direction that I am working on... :)
Can you now explain that in English.........? heh heh heh Nah nevermind, I'd never understand it anyways ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great info Deejray thank you! No I'm not moored. I trailer my boat then launch when I go fishing. Maybe we can meet up some time when we are both fishing on the same days. Are you moored in Vancouver?

Wow that's some high tech stuff man. I'm not a tech guy at all :eek:

I bought here 3 plus silver edition last year. I put it on top of th cabin and it can see out from rod tip to rod tip. Buy everything off of AMAZON! You will save at least 50% on all attachments. If you buy batteries go with the off brand wasabi batteries. I believe they come in pairs and with a charger. They are way cheaper and actually last longer. Depending on how long your trips are and how much footage you film before editing, buy a couple 125gb memory cards. I can make those last a whole Thursday - Sunday trip. As for the mount I bought just a clamp and the gooseneck, with waterproof case and floaty back door. Th only issue I have with the waterproof case is sound quality sucks. I'm going to be purchasing an external mic and the skeleton case, which is not waterproof. I learned the hard way, but it also makes it way easier if you stop the recording after you catch a fish and start a new one, that way you can delete the following recording if you don't end up catching anything between battery changes and its a lot easier to find the actual fight..if you want I can attach a link of everything I bought if you've got some questions. I can also attach s couple videos from last year if you want to see how they look

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back