Sett ing up the bunks on a trailer

jimbob

Is there any special technique to fitting a trailer with bunks to a boat? Also are there any guidelines as to how much weight should be on the tongue of the trailer in order to get the balance right?

I would think just drop them down just enough so the keel is also riding on your centre rollers if you have them. The more contact your boat has with the trailer the better. It provides maximum support and distribution of weight on the hull, and also helps stiffen up the trailer.
As for tongue weight, I always balance mine out so there's between 50-100#'s on the hitch. Enough to keep the pressure down at all times without throwing the vehicle handling off, but light enough that I can lift the trailer off by hand if I have to.
my .02

i just got a trailer so i can help you out with this a bit,
tounge weight should be 8-11% of the boats weight.
We were going to fit our boat to the trailer by just launching it in the lake or chuck and moving the bunks, pullig out, launching and adjusting etc, but just had sherwood do the fitting for us cuz they are the pros, but they did the exact same thing it turns out.

You are correct about having around 10% of the trailer's weight on the hitch. If there is not enough weight on the hitch the trailer could start swinging and throw the towing vehicle around like a rag doll. It is very dangerous to not have enough weight on the hitch.

I was towing a trailer with some wood in it that overhung the back of the trailer and lightened up the amount of the weight on the ball. I was going about 70 km/h when the trailer started to swing throwing the rear end of the car from side to side. Luckily I was able to stop the car before any damage and adjust the load. I also needed to clean out my shorts. I'll never go light on the hitch weight again.

Tongue weight should always be 10%-15% of the loaded weight of the trailer. Too light will cause the sway.

Back