Seiners in front of Nanaimo for chums

I agree, get offline and start attending meetings and advocating for the resource to your elected officials.
I have done that for over 15 years on the commercial side.

Just be careful about advocating for prohibiting salmon harvesting, if you are successful, you could be sitting on the beach next 'sport' fishing season.

I agree, get offline and start attending meetings and advocating for the resource to your elected officials.
I have done that for over 15 years on the commercial side.

Just be careful about advocating for prohibiting salmon harvesting, if you are successful, you could be sitting on the beach next 'sport' fishing season.

GS, You're absolutely right about getting out to the meetings and engaging elected officials! More sport fisherman need to do this and stop griping. I have been involved for over 20 plus years. Meeting regularly with my MP and MLA on fish issues. I am part of our local SFAC. Keep the community and local media informed on fish issues. I also donate to PSF, Skeena Wild and Watershed Watch.

No where did I say I want to see salmon harvesting prohibited. I just want better stock assessment and recognition of value of certain stocks like Chums and Pinks to the health overall ecosystem. More Chums and Pinks in the river, mean more Coho, Chiook and Steelhead. I am supportive of both commercial and sport fisherman getting to harvested, with good management practices. DFO needs to be adequately funded by our federal government to do this!

Thank you for your efforts, it is rare in today's world.

I was responding to your statement that it would be better for the river system to allow the chum to die on the banks rather than be caught by seiners.
That allows a further argument that there is always a better use for salmon than harvesting by sport or commercial.
We see that in the other thread with Suzuki (make me pukee) saying that only humans are the only problem concerning declining salmon stocks, orcas etc.

Back