Seastar issues - anyone have a power purge?? (shop?)

AndrewH

I have bleed the system 3 times now and each time the steering is tight for about 10-15 hours of boating and then gets soft (about 1/8 turn of wheel before motor turns).

System is this:

first helm - normal location
second helm - flat mount on stern

Linked together with hose as per instructions and using the correct seastar hydro hoses.

How I have been purging...

Start at rear helm, turn motor all the way to one side and open the single bleeder on extended side of piston. Attach hose to that bleeder and run into a container. Hose on helm filler attached to cut open container with oil. Turn wheel opposite direction continuously until no more bubbles come out of bleeder. Close bleeder, turn motor to other side and repeat. Go back and forth a few times to ensure all air is out. Replace hose on helm with plug (not vent) and move to front helm and repeat.

This seems to work VERY well but only for the sort time, somehow air is either in the system or air is introduced but I have no leaks so I find this very difficult to believe.

Anyone know a shop with a power purge?

are you opening the valves in the helm all the way? pull the wheel as hard as you can left to right, right to left... you would be surprised how much air can get locked in the helm. i have a plumbed in filler at the highest point, on mine because of this micro leak i cannot find. almost seems it pulls air in but does leak fluid out.

Not sure I know what valves you are talking about? bleeders in the piston?

Once I think I have all the air out, I give the wheel a good fast turn and sure enough a little more air will come out. I do this until no air is coming out. I can usually hear the air in the helm unit and then a few turns later I will see the bubbles in the hose out of the bleeder.

the helm has i think , 10 actual valves in , check valves and spool valves i think it is called.. my helm would stick and only turn one way, bought a rebuild kit about 6 years ago and did it myself, not hard to do... but ever since then i have the same type of issue as you. shows up even more so when travelling offshore with the nose up. but this actually helps bring any air up to the forward helm where i have a filling station built. i got this idea from a commercial boat. it had a fill pot and a site tube to check for burps and fluid loss. mine is just some stainless fittings with a small shut off and reservoir 4" higher than both stations.

Ok gotcha,

My system is about 2 months old though...

Called Seastar and they said "check for leaks"!!! -> thanks tips

Check for leaks and if you think there is still air in the system .SG Power has a power bleeder.

If you are located mid island, I have a power bleeder you can borrow, I won’t be back for a couple of days though. Power makes the job quick and easy:)

Regards

Fishyboy

Back