Seastar Install on Optimax 135HP

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guy's

just wondering if any of you have installed a sea star system on an Optimax before? I got started today and have run into two issues so far

1) My steering tube is setup differently than shown in seastar install guide. The guide shows a threaded tube end on both sides of the steering tube. I only have a threaded end on one side the other side has flat nut and seal. is this setup a problem?
2) the steering arm coming out from under the motor is much shorter than whats shown in the install guide is there a an extra bracket I need?

If anybody has a few pictures of seastar system installed on an optimax I would love to see them

Capt

Is it possible that you have an old style sea-star steering ram? They just recently changed their assemblies I believe. The old style moves/retracts the steering cylinder from one end only, new one is more of a 'floating' system. Maybe you have to find a legacy manual. Pictures help too.

We had to replace the one on the boat a few weeks ago as the bearings were shot on the old one. New one was completely different and caused some issues with hose length, mounting, etc. Not cheap either! :)

Back