Seastar and Ultraflex

I have just setup a complete Sea star steering system on the boat. I would like to add a steering wheel to the back of the boat... so... I bought a new Ultraflex helm for a great price. I'm suddenly a little uncertain about mixing the two helm manufactures ... but hey, hydraulics is hydraulics... right?

Has anyone else mix and matched helms with there systems? They use the same thread hoses.

I added a second hydraulic station last year. Both Helms are plumbed together to enable inside cabin or back deck use. I had to use matching helm pumps.

Got seastar on front helm and ultraflex on back doesnt matter just make sure the gear ratio is the same went with ultraflex after 2 seastar helms failed so thought id give them a go as they are cheaper in price and heard good things about them so far after 3 years horizontal flush mount all good ... hope i didnt just jinx myself LOL

Good luck wolf

I would only be concerned about matching the helm pump capacity. Brand would be irrelevant if specs are otherwise the same.

That being said... What does it take to actually mount just a helm on the back of the boat for steering while on the back deck? I just want to be able to steer from back there instead of going back and fourth to the cabin all of the time for steering the kicker with the tie bar. Existing hydraulic steering. A vertical helm pump (lower than the dash) would be great.

Something like this would be awesome:

Rear Helm.jpg

Thanks wolf that was exactly what i needed to read, cheers! Fishnzinn yes, rear helm tied into the same system is how I'm doing it.. just like your picture. I agree the ratio should be the only difference that matters. I'm having all my hoses made at the local hydraulic shop w/stainless ends. Far cheaper and with much higher psi rating and with better abrasion characteristics. Heres what i setup today just need hoses.
fde7acdbc0ff342bbd6c1cbff128f40a.jpg

I just had Ultraflex helm replaced under warranty after 2 years and the aluminum housing was fairly corroded. I'm going to add some black caulking around the screws / housing gaps which is where corrosion started and I can see it starting again. My favorite shop that does top notch work says they have no trouble with Seastar and some trouble like I did with Ultraflex. Might want to put Seastar out in the elements and keep the Ultraflex in the cabin. :)

Back