Search and Rescue

Mismanagement and pissing contests between government agencies is the real problem ,not a lack of money.

beemer

Glad to see we have a board member that knows better then the Auditor -General................ I happen to believe otherwise and give my support the the guys and gals that readily risk their lives so that others may live

Why can't we manage such essential services? Our government hands out billions of our dollars freely to other countries yet can't find enough to run our services!

Glad to see we have a board member that knows better then the Auditor -General................ I happen to believe otherwise and give my support the the guys and gals that readily risk their lives so that others may live

Cuba Libre , I readily support the men and women who serve us as search and rescue personnel. The Auditor General has pointed out what most people who live and work on the water already know, the system does not work effectively .

beemer

Cuba Libre , I readily support the men and women who serve us as search and rescue personnel. The Auditor General has pointed out what most people who live and work on the water already know, the system does not work effectively .

beemer

And why doesnt it work properly--- 60 yr old planes that need as much maintenance time as flying time, ditto on the choppers. Lack of trained staff etc-- it all comes down to money-- you dont have the coin--- you cant do a proper job.

It is and always was lack of funding-shortage of trained personnel-which is again caused by lack of funding. I used to be a SAR buffalo pilot-38 years ago in comox flying those same planes that are still doing the job. Even in those days it was not unusual on a search to have 1 aircraft designated a hanger queen to rob for spare parts because we couldn't get any. We used to hold 1/2 hour standby during the day and 2 hours on the weekend and overnight-same as it is today. We would shift hours around or deploy for special events like Herring roe-but the squadron did not have enough manpower to hold 1/2 hour standby 24/7. If you were going to do that you would need extra aircraft, pilots, maintainers etc. Basically-more money!! I don't know any SAR pilots who took 2 hours to get launched on a 2 hour stand-by.There are very few people in this world who are as dedicated to doing a great job under crappy conditions as an Airforce SAR crew. The politico's decide where the money and emphasis is placed and to be honest I don't think it is in SAR of any type.

In Feb. or Mar. of 1978 the crew of a Comox Buffalo spotted/found my future boss and his crew's liferaft somewhere off Nootka 48hrs after their wood seine boat burned and sank in the middle of the night running from Barkley to QCI. A Comox helicopter picked them up.
It's hard to believe they are forced to use the same aircraft today.

It is and always was lack of funding-shortage of trained personnel-which is again caused by lack of funding. I used to be a SAR buffalo pilot-38 years ago in comox flying those same planes that are still doing the job. Even in those days it was not unusual on a search to have 1 aircraft designated a hanger queen to rob for spare parts because we couldn't get any. We used to hold 1/2 hour standby during the day and 2 hours on the weekend and overnight-same as it is today. We would shift hours around or deploy for special events like Herring roe-but the squadron did not have enough manpower to hold 1/2 hour standby 24/7. If you were going to do that you would need extra aircraft, pilots, maintainers etc. Basically-more money!! I don't know any SAR pilots who took 2 hours to get launched on a 2 hour stand-by.There are very few people in this world who are as dedicated to doing a great job under crappy conditions as an Airforce SAR crew. The politico's decide where the money and emphasis is placed and to be honest I don't think it is in SAR of any type.

Remember it well-I was flying in the search buffalo-we had thought the worst and were expecting only debris and floaters-if we were lucky. Lot of fog around-really hampered the search .

Back