Seals, or ocean dwelling sea rats solution

ziggy

OK I admit to being more than a little perturbed about being sealed yet again, so I have come up with a possible solution. This solution would involve funding and support by some B level celebrities and extensive use of the media.

What I suggest is that given Orca's are so smart, why not train them to modify their eating habits. If we could convince the residents to enjoy seal like their transient cousins, we could solve some major problems with both the Spring salmon fishery and the lack of Orca food supply.

Face it there is no shortage of seals in the waters of Southern Vancouver Island, but we seem to have a shortage of springs. Now if the Orca's were to start eating seals, they would keep in check one predator of the dwindling salmon stock, while greatly enhancing their own food supply and limiting their need to worry on the salmon stocks as well! Lol

Yup, seal flipper pie. I'd rather the Orca's enjoy it though. Likely easier to teach them than the general population as well!

Pick on the seals again time eh?? Ha ha , I for one luv their big eyes while they munch my only keeper of the day!!

Hey but lets get real , seals can't catch salmon on their own in the open so why shouldn't give them a hand? Its the Canadian way! :p

Seals and humans don't look all that different in the water and with the amount of swimming I do I'd rather feed Sammy once in a while than become Orca food...

Perhaps the solution is to declare seals "at risk" and let the government manage them?
Back in the early 90's when the first real push of El nino was bringing mackerel up the WCVI andthey were gobbling up all the Chinook smolts, there was a SFAB meeting with DFO about the state of Chinook populations in BC. One of the audience stood up and asked if DFO could start to look at enhancing mackerel populations the same way that they did Chinook populations since they had done such a sh*tty job of that it would likely be the very best way to eliminate mackerel on the West Coast.

Seals are survivors..hehe..they got the crap knocked out of their population by Dfo. M 60's at the rookeries, mines on sand bars...were talking down to 5% and looky looky they are one of the only success stories around here back better then ever. So good luck on that one again...not to mention the whole "we were here first";) the ORCAS have going for THEIR cash crop lol.
maybe you should try jigging for springs? Once hooked most of them RUSH to the surface. Opposite of most mooch and troll hookups with big fish.
I've only been seald while dragging them God awful DR's around. Did I mention i freaking hate trolling?
Btw what the hell is with marinas charging to feed these WILD mammals ? This must be highly illegal, but actually a visible marketing strategy to our tourists...the amount of times I have heard people, and tour guides laugh at how fat (diabetic) the marina seals are.
Not to mention it sends such a confusing message.
fishermen, they just love them sea dogs and blackfish so much they wanna feed them

Perhaps Humpbubble the problem was the government was trying to cull them? Now if they were to try and protect them........

from DFO in the late 90's; east coast study, very well funded;

An average harbour seal consumes about 4 kg of fish

a day (from 1.6 kg for pups, 3.4 kg in juvenile females,

3.8 in juvenile males, 5.5 in adult males to a maximum

of 5.7 kg for adult females;

An estimated 40,000 harbour seals live in the strait between Van Island and Van, in 1980 there were an estimated 2000 and growing by 11.9% per year.
The threshold year seems to have been around 2006 when the Coho disappeared or 30,000 seals or so and since then their population appears to not grow as fast, about 10,000 over the last 10 years.

If you can find the CD "Whales of Blackfish Sound", done by the Victoria Aquarium, they recorded the sounds of KILLER WHALES!!!. They even have a segment on the Transient Meat Eating Killer Whales!!!!

If you can do up a CD for your Boat Stereo, and play it REAL LOUD when you hook a fish, you might see all the oily black heads pop up behind your boat and start swimming away very quickly.

DONT DO THIS THOUGH. I have no idea how other whales would react, it may be dangerous.

After that caveat, it sure worked slick when we used to fish out of Bowser at Norris and Flora Rocks back in the early 90's.

Drewski

Back