Seals, or ocean dwelling sea rats solution

We need to all support a Aboriginal seal fishery.
our seals have awesome pelts for vests , jackets , hats , boots , seat covers etc.
lets promote and support such a move.
They can get the permits long long before we ever will.

They are already allowed 5 per person per season, they just don't hunt them. Maybe we could tell them they can use pit lamps and do it at night then they might jump on board.

What I suggest is that given Orca's are so smart, why not train them to modify their eating habits. If we could convince the residents to enjoy seal like their transient cousins, we could solve some major problems with both the Spring salmon fishery and the lack of Orca food supply.

That's half the problem. Because the southern residents are so chik from being based around the fashion hub of Vancouver, they are vegetarian and the refuse to eat any mammals. They are actually threatening to go vegan if their habitat isn't cleaned up soon.

That's half the problem. Because the southern residents are so chik from being based around the fashion hub of Vancouver, they are vegetarian and the refuse to eat any mammals. They are actually threatening to go vegan if their habitat isn't cleaned up soon.
Well if they do go vegan then maybe feeding them with a potato canon might be an option. Then again if they are vegan and not pescatarian, I could live with them!

They are already allowed 5 per person per season, they just don't hunt them. Maybe we could tell them they can use pit lamps and do it at night then they might jump on board.

they are already leasing out food fishing quota to non natives to harvest/catch for them ,
so why not lease out the seal quota?
It would be a awesome fun business.. (attention you young guys looking for a job)
would need some sort of harpoon canon so they dont sink...
i have seal pelt seat covers and am getting a vest made , they are amazing warm durable fur.
Keep talking it up , communication makes things happen.

I heard someone suggest birth control. Could work.

I read many years ago the govt had developed a subcutaneous birth control for seals on the east coast so the population didn't get out of hand after the east coast seal hunt was severely curtailed. It was supposed to be injected with a dart rifle and supposedly the birth control lasted quite a while.

I'm guessing the same thing could easily be done on the west coast, but the program would obviously be very expensive. We're really not a priority in Ottawa, so forget them dedicating big funds to fix our perceived problems here with the cute seals.

Seals actually aren't the problem. What we have is population explosion of Citidiots..

not sure what you are trying to say?
how many springs did you loose to Seals this year.
For me it was about a dozen.
and it takes the pleasure out of playing a fish not knowing when a seal will strike..sometimes right beside the boat, just outside of net reach.

I suspect it is about to get much worse. We were recently Sea Lioned twice off Sooke on the same day and got back one large salmon head. I have noticed a huge population increase in sea lions in that area in the last few years and the sea lion population seems to be going through the roof just like seals did. There also seems to be a very large quantity of very young and juvenile Sea Lions. We have a huge out of control population of Seals ( what DFO calls “Historical Highs”) and now it seems to me we are seeing the same things with Sea Lions. The problem in my view is a lack of predators (transient Orca with high toxin levels etc) and humans who have changed the eating and clothing habits and now prefer Big Macs and Jeans. Not to mention that these species have protected status now so you won’t see the odd 22 on commercial fishing boats etc. which don’t fish in JDF anymore anyway and which helped keep the populations in check; although I guess fish farms will still shoot a few of them on the west coast. A cull will not be seen as politically expedient so the salmon, which really don’t need it and which don’t have the cute factor will pay the price, as will those who depend on them.

I suspect it is about to get much worse. We were recently Sea Lioned twice off Sooke on the same day and got back one large salmon head. I have noticed a huge population increase in sea lions in that area in the last few years and the sea lion population seems to be going through the roof just like seals did. There also seems to be a very large quantity of very young and juvenile Sea Lions. We have a huge out of control population of Seals ( what DFO calls “Historical Highs”) and now it seems to me we are seeing the same things with Sea Lions. The problem in my view is a lack of predators (transient Orca with high toxin levels etc) and humans who have changed the eating and clothing habits and now prefer Big Macs and Jeans. Not to mention that these species have protected status now so you won’t see the odd 22 on commercial fishing boats etc. which don’t fish in JDF anymore anyway and which helped keep the populations in check; although I guess fish farms will still shoot a few of them on the west coast. A cull will not be seen as politically expedient so the salmon, which really don’t need it and which don’t have the cute factor will pay the price, as will those who depend on them.

Great idea bf. "SEALS on WHEELS",coming to an Arctic neighbourhood near you!

Back