Some fresh west coast cod and tuna taco's.. in a fried corn tortilla ... seared the cod skin side only till brown then put a lid on a steam it out, like butter

*Sauce thats on the cod- in a blender , basil, cilantro, lemon, lime, garlic, red whole chilli, sea salt and olive oil... turned out better then i expected

*Spicy mayo sauce- mayo, lemon, lime, sesame oil, light soya sauce, sriracha mix put in a squeeze bottle

View attachment 54790 View attachment 54791
View attachment 54792 View attachment 54793
View attachment 54794 View attachment 54795
View attachment 54796
Man looks delicious! How do you keep the shape of the fried tortilla's when cooking them in the oil? Or did you buy them already pre made like that?

Man looks delicious! How do you keep the shape of the fried tortilla's when cooking them in the oil? Or did you buy them already pre made like that?
Took a bit of trial and error, found the best way was with 2 tongs, holding each end and dipping it in and out of the oil, get the curved lower
part first then submerge all the way 10-20sec , sprinkle a bit of salt, i buy the raw tortillas

Took a bit of trial and error, found the best way was with 2 tongs, holding each end and dipping it in and out of the oil, get the curved lower
part first then submerge all the way 10-20sec , sprinkle a bit of salt, i buy the raw tortillas
Right on I'm gonna give this ago. I bet the crispy texture goes very well with seafood and sauces, especially moist ceviche fillings.

I've been finding the smaller frozen prawns release too much liquid and never really char up before they're overcooked. I tried this tonight and it worked great. Tossed in sauce after they were cooked.
View attachment 60139

View attachment 60140
Very Nice! i swear charring the shells goes right into the meat creating an unreal flavour, i know there's that red juice thats so flavourful
if it dries up the juicy broth is gone from the inside

Very Nice! i swear charring the shells goes right into the meat creating an unreal flavour, i know there's that red juice thats so flavourful
if it dries up the juicy broth is gone from the inside
100%

Salmon Wellington made this a few times now, so easy to make and very delicious

In a pan, butter, sauté garlic, onions 10 min •then add spinach and a pinch of salt cook down for 10min •then add cream cheese, Borsin cheese optional, touch of lemon, pinch of dill and parmesan cook for 10 min • then chill in fridge
Place salmon on puff pastry, salt n pepper, layer spinach mixture on top of salmon, fold pastry, brush with egg wash, scoring optional, bake 425 for 20-25 min

View attachment 60106

View attachment 60109

View attachment 60111

View attachment 60112

View attachment 60113

View attachment 60114

View attachment 60115

Made this tonight with Chinook. Yum!

Attachments

• 20210103_163029.jpg
    20210103_163029.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 34
Cast Iron Cannery Style Salmon

A table favourite, tastes from the Old school Cannery restaurant got it pretty close

Olive oil on the iron and get a really good dark browning on the ingredients, i usually go slow and low to concentrate the flavours

*garlic
*rosemary
*pepper
*fennel few seeds ( trust me you wont taste it but makes a huge difference in the flavour)

Skinless fish, salt both sides well

Remove a bit of the toasted ingredients from the pan, turn the heat right up sear one side get good color on it, flip and remove from
heat, let sit for 5 and will be buttery tender, on the last 5 min sprinkle toasted ingredients over fish.

Squeeze very little lemon in the pan drippings in the end and drizzle over served fish.

everyone ends up spooning all those tasty bits in the pan.
IMG_9826.JPGIMG_9821.JPGIMG_9820.JPG
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 8.51.09 AM.png3DE8B5EF-E072-46F9-808F-E5F38AC3D40F.JPG

Last edited:
*fennel few seeds ( trust me you wont taste it but makes a huge difference in the flavour)
In the summer I sometimes rub fillets with fresh fennel, lavender, and kosher salt. You don't taste the fennel then either, but it's yummy.

Going to try Panko Prawns, scallops and oysters tonight...
I have a bunch of frozen oysters I'd like to try that way too. I'm really settling with the idea that I prefer panko breading over tempura or beer batters. Stays crisp longer and gives more texture while still being light.

Those broiled prawns look amazing, I'm going try that. What temp and how long did you cook them Rain City?
It looks like you crowded them together a bit, is that so they char but don't over cook? Then tossed in a sauce.

Those broiled prawns look amazing, I'm going try that. What temp and how long did you cook them Rain City?
It looks like you crowded them together a bit, is that so they char but don't over cook? Then tossed in a sauce.
No they're spread out it's just the angle. Whenever I do stuff like this I crank the oven on max bake to pre-heat and then switch to the broiler and chuck them in. Probably 5-6 minutes tops. I hate overcooked prawns.

Back