Sea Sport 22

finaddict

Sold my Campion 26 Toba (real nice boat, but just too big for trailering around the island and launching). Anyways I am looking for a smaller and more appropriate boat for sport fishing and reasonable overnighting for two. I don't need to do 40 knots, but I woul dlike to be able to cruise at a comfortable 25-26 knots.

The Sea Sport caught my eye as a very decent looking all around sport fisher. Anyone here have any experience with one? Haven't looked at one up close so I have a bunch of questions. I figure if I am to find good honest evaluations anywhere it will be from the vast talent and experience pool here at SFBC.com

Hows the hull lay up and design? Decent glass?

How do they handle the west coast off-shore?

at 4500 lbs, how well do they handle a sea in planing conditions?

on a scale of 1-10 how would you judge their hull quality? Fit and finish? ride? electronics?

Any feedback is much appreciated.

From what I have ever heard and seen they look to be a pretty tough boat.... they ride awsome and look great too.... lots of fishing space and a nice dry cabin to boot.... good choice in my opinion!!!

I own a 24'XL Sea Sport and fish the west coast exclusively during the summer. It has served me well for the last 5 years. I would recomend getting a somewhat larger set of trim tabs then the ones that come standard. The boat rides well, but the larger tabs would allow greater ability to put the bow down when running in sloppy seas. The factory finishes each Sea Sport like the owner of the company was going to take delivery of it. There are no coners cut. Yes I will buy another one. The boat is able to take more ruff weather than the skipper. As for electronice....Furuno gets my nod. That said, there are certainly other brands that are quality too. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me.

My buddy has one and i was out in it all weekend these are my biggest problem with them his is the 24 ft model.

1 Steering in the back is very bad, if your 4 ft tall maybe ok but the second staion is the worst design i have ever seen.

2 from the back you cant see a thing you have to try and look over the boat or on the sides of it then the steering comes in to play again way too low

3 Found it a bit top heavy and he had a little to much gas on the same side as the kicker so it would really list I dont know why these boat people put side tanks in a boat.Right in front of the bulkhead door there is a storage locker you could almost stand in why not put all the weight in the middle of the boat where it is supposed to be and leave the sides for storage complettly baffles me, as soon as one of the tanks go hes is going to do it that way.

4 the little dog house you trip over it!!!!! bit of a pain in the butt.

5 from up front with the west coast windows love them but with 3 windows in there the one post is a bit of a blind spot for stuff right in the middle of the boat as you are running.

So yes those are my negative but she is a great boat in the seas for sure gets up on plane and holds good.

Would I buy one NO!!!
not for me good weekend boat with the family but definatly hard to fish out and work out of ill take a hourston over it anyday the 26 ft model or one like LS with a pod all the same stuff but I have been in both and the Hourston is like a tank and is very stable, pile 3 guys on one side and she hardly moves.

But thats just my opinion

Good luck Wolf

My cousin inlaw just bought a brand new one in the 2200 model. Its a nice boat. Nice hull design and layout. Great boat for weekend getaways if you are planning on staying on it. A couple extra feet would be nice maybe look at the 2400 or 2600. I'd buy one over a aluminum anyday. If you fish on daily trips I'd grab a walkaround they are alot nicer to fish out of.

Back