Sea lice could be affecting wild salmon stocks

There's a huge sea lice problem in the discovery islands. A chemical barge (hydrogen peroxide) is dedicated to trying to battle the lice problem in the area. Thank you salmon farmers.

Also caught a sockeye in that area last summer with approx 30 lice on it.

Well DUH! these guys never read any of Alexandra Morton's work ???

Nor do I think they read much else that finds problems with their industry. The sad reality is that in Norway they are realizing the harmful impacts of net pen feedlots and starting to reduce them, but here they just pay off the Prov & Fed Govt's and want to build more to keep their production levels up. We need to stop this from happening.

These feedlots need to be on land where their waste and diseases can be better managed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Salmon Feedlot Industry supporters - care to comment??? Please tell us why you think this latest research is all wrong!
http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/cjfas-2014-0284#.VUOpPdh0xuE
Sea lice, sockeye salmon, and foraging competition: lousy fish are lousy competitors

Sean C. Godwin, Lawrence M Dill, John D Reynolds, Martin Krkošek

Published on the web 27 March 2015.

Received June 19, 2014.

Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, 10.1139/cjfas-2014-0284

Abstract
Pathogens threaten wildlife globally, but these impacts are not restricted to direct mortality from disease. For fish, which experience periods of extremely high mortality during their early life history, infections may primarily influence population dynamics and conservation through indirect effects on ecological processes such as competition and predation. We conducted a competitive foraging experiment using out-migrating juvenile Fraser River sockeye salmon (Oncorhynchus nerka) to determine whether fish with high abundances of parasitic sea lice (Caligus clemensi and Lepeophtheirus salmonis) have reduced competitive abilities when foraging. Highly infected sockeye were 20% less successful at consuming food, on average, than lightly infected fish. Competitive ability also increased with fish body size. Our results provide the first evidence that parasite exposure may have negative indirect effects on fitness of juvenile sockeye salmon, and suggest that indirect effects of pathogens may be of key importance for the conservation of marine fish

https://vimeo.com/86743042
https://vimeo.com/86743042/download?t=1430497516&v=227802512&
let's see if we can predict some of the arguments coming in the media from the PR firms and "Sustainability Officers" for the industry:

Misleading Comment: Lice have always been on fish/salmon

Rebuttal: Yes - but that answer purposely misleads and misses the point. The question is how big of a lice load is it (# lice per gram of fish), what stages are the lice at (subadult and adult lice cause much damage as they eat tissue), and how susceptible is that host stage to that lice damage (i.e. what additional mechanisms come into play).

Energy drain depends upon amount of damage, number of parasites and what stages they are at, and the size of the host. So having 12-20 lice on a returning 10KG Chinook may be of little significant effect. Having 1 motile louse on a 0.45g pink or chum juvie is a very different thing.

It's good to see the word getting out and people being educated on this. hopefully people will start passing this stuff up in the grocery store. sadly the industry is subsidized with your and my tax dollars. without the subsidizations and the lobbying kickbacks to gov I bet the industry would die...

Sockeye migrate to the ocean at 1-3 years old as a smolt, no longer parr marked. That is a picture of a fry in the posted link,most likely dipped from a lake. At least I know better, sorta feel sad for you guys.

The link in the original post showed a false picture with false content. Sockeye fry don't exist in the ocean. I feel no need to read further, if I feel it's cherry picked science.

Sockeye migrate to the ocean at 1-3 years old as a smolt, no longer parr marked. That is a picture of a fry in the posted link,most likely dipped from a lake. At least I know better, sorta feel sad for you guys.
The link in the original post showed a false picture with false content. Sockeye fry don't exist in the ocean. I feel no need to read further, if I feel it's cherry picked science.
SM - if you are suggesting that you don't catch fry/smolts (with parr marks) in the estuary and/or the early marine environment as they come out of streams - I'd say you really don't know what you are talking about. For a person who has "no need to read further" - you seem to be doing quite a bit of reading on this forum. Maybe it is just the science you feel you have "no need to read further". You may be "feeling sorry" for the wrong people.

Attachments

• DSCF2624.jpg
    DSCF2624.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF2627.jpg
    DSCF2627.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 136
Thanks for the clarification AA, its an never ending job trying to dispel ignorance and hastily, poorly thought out positions.

Sockeye fry live in lakes ! Leave lakes as smolts ! You people are totally...f:)

So how does a Fraser River fry get caught in Johnstone Strait...

So how does a Fraser River fry get caught in Johnstone Strait...
Well - of course - it could be just a hoax done just to fool you, SM.

Alternatively - what is it that fish do?

oh ya - swim.

Maybe it swam down the Fraser (or another river - if it is from another river). Whodathunk?

Maybe you have another explanation, SM - flying fish, aliens - or something other than the obvious.

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetc....1371/journal.pone.0012916&representation=PDF

Attachments

• migratory routes.jpg
    migratory routes.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 115
Sockeye fry live in lakes and won't be found in the ocean , they swim to the ocean when they smolt. Like talking to Helen Keller. Why is the article posting false information ? Why do you expect me to believe what's false ?

Sockeye fry live in lakes and won't be found in the ocean , they swim to the ocean when they smolt. Like talking to Helen Keller. Why is the article posting false information ? Why do you expect me to believe what's false ?
ya got me SM! I stay up late at night catching smolting fry and painting parr marks on there - just to fool you. That's why researchers have been catching fry in the ocean with parr marks for the past 100 years or so. We're all in cahoots, just pulling a mass joke on everyone.

Yes salmon fry....but not sockeye salmon fry !Why not say the picture and some of the pertinent information is incorrect ? Sometimes a newspaper gets it wrong. Your all about the facts...right ?

SM - I can infer from your posts that you are inexperienced with juvenile salmon - especially in the marine environment. I am unsure why you are holding onto your "beliefs" rather than actually looking for answers - the ones based in reality - even if they are different than what you expect.

Smoltification is a long process taking weeks to months. In that time frame - juvenile Pacific salmon often outmigrate down rivers - and into estuaries and the marine environment. Just because they still have parr marks does not mean they have not adapted to more saline waters. If your assumption is that because they still have parr marks - they cannot be in salt water - I am sorry - I have to be honest here - that is an incorrect assumption only demonstrating that person's lack of experience with juvenile salmon in the marine environment.

PS - it is okay to have the wrong assumptions sometimes, SM. The world does not come to an end because of it.

Back