Scotty HP Rigger acting goofy

ChilliSpoons

One of the riggers on my Bro's boat has been acting up fishing deep. Dropping down to 150, 200 or 250' isn't an issue but if wanting to adjust depth from 150' down deeper the drop slows to a crawl. Swapping out the 15 lb balls to 20 lb balls help but the issue still exists. Is a brake adjustment needed?

Could be the braid or cable digging into itself on the spool. Can happen if you don't keep the tension high enough when spooling up.

Back off you belt tension a few c-hairs and that should fix it.

My money's on this being a cracked spool. I've experienced this same behavior at various depths. Watch your spool as you go up or down and see if the top or bottom edge wobbles as it spins. If so, you need to get a new bottom half of the spool from your scotty parts dealer (much much cheaper than buying a new spool). $12 USD where I'm from, so I keep a few extra around.

I've had the same issue with a 1106...told them this winter when it was in for maintenance...they replaced some parts...will see what happens when I use it next.

Will Scotty recognize a cracked spool as a free warranty replacement?
yes they will . problem is you usually have to send it in. it’s always the bottom half of the spool and it is a $5 part. it’s super easy to fix. four bolts.

take your belt off so it free wheels. pull all your line off and put in a large basket or something.

Back