down rigger brake rattle

Prawny

Hi Guys, it has been awhile since checked in. Fishing and time in the boat has been great this year. Just have a question. This is my third year with the Scotty high speed down riggers running 20lb. balls, adjusting the brake as necessary. Recently on recovery of the leads the brake handle rattles loudly against the rigger body. Rather than a quiet smooth no rattle (back and forth). Is this a brake issue as in too tight or a wearing out issue? I will attempt to contribute more to this forum in the future. With thanks Prawny

Hi Prawny.

I have the same problem with one of my high speeds running steel and a 20lb ball. The other high speed rigger is fine. It has braid but I doubt that is relevant and we use a 12 or 15lb weight on that side. I assumed that it need to be taken in for servicing as it is rather a violent, noisy and fast slamming back and forth of the brake handle while in retrieve mode. If you grab it when it is doing this you can feel a strong pulse. It will be interesting to hear what others think is the cause.

Last edited:
Your spool might be cracking. Probably needs a new lower spool section. The spool is 2 pieces. Almost always the bottom section is the one that splits.

Check your spring it's probably broke.

Thanks guys, I will take it apart and see if I can find the problem. Just thought I would ask first. Still having problems with my digital counter fogging up. Not sure if the replacements are any better. Second time around with these so it does appear that there has been no improvements in sealing the counter from moisture. In any case still believe them to be the best down riggers and do like the fact that they are made close to home,Victoria B.C. Cheers, Prawny

The nice thing about Scotty is they don't kill you on the parts. Even though I've always had warranty, I've always done my own repairs because I didn't want the downtime waiting for repairs. I think the springs are like .19 cents and the spool was $6

OK, took off the spool. return brake spring in good shape but believe it could be a little stronger, doers it weaken with use? Cleaned the ss brake plate, roughed up the brake pads. reset the brake tension. Have not had a chance to try it out, but I think maybe the brake was set a little too tight and was grabbing on retrieval. Will know soon, Prawny

Back