Scotty High Performance Problems

Jacob's Ladder

One of my downriggers is the high performance one. When I lower the ball it makes a hell of a racket. I took it to island outfitters as I thought something had broken inside. The Scotty guy found nothing broken and just adjusted it, which seemed to work fine. After a couple of months the noise has returned. I tried adjusting the brake both ways to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem?

On a side note, I like the downrigger all in all. Especially with the 20# ball when trolling deep for springs on the bank.

Thanks in advance

JL

The original model of those rigger had a small problem and required a retro part..a easy fix...either Take it to Scotty or call them and they should send you the parts...a easy fix...

I run the original scotty's that's part of the reason when getting new ones last year I didn't get the new high speed ones is I figured there could be some issues which usually takes a couples years to show up and to get the wrinkles out. They do look very nice lots of boats in Ukee have them now.

I had the same problem last year, the issue was the small drive pulley not meshing properly with the belt. I took it down to the chandler and they threw on a new and improved one (looks like the cogs are just slightly closer together). Problem solved, smooth as silk now. Takes thirty seconds to fix it.

One of my downriggers is the high performance one. When I lower the ball it makes a hell of a racket. I took it to island outfitters as I thought something had broken inside. The Scotty guy found nothing broken and just adjusted it, which seemed to work fine. After a couple of months the noise has returned. I tried adjusting the brake both ways to no avail. Has anyone else had this problem?

On a side note, I like the downrigger all in all. Especially with the 20# ball when trolling deep for springs on the bank.

Thanks in advance

JL

I have two of these high performance downriggers and so far they have run great. They are coming up too two years old. I also run a 15 # ball. Take them back if you are not happy with them!!!!!

I switched over to HP's this season,I love the power with 20# balls BUT.......one is all phucked up already(2 weeks use) with the same problems JL talks about...and yesterday setting gear my Brand New boom rod holder snaps at the base losing my $350 rod/reel combo over the side...lucky my clip was on max,up came the rod on the rigger with the ball!!!

Scotty stuff has gone to **** the last few years...still a good warranty I guess!

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

I have had to replace 3 counters, last year 2 where way out to lunch or so I thought scotty sent me 2 new ones and
didn't make a difference, a couple weeks ago 1 stopped counting all together, what a pain fishing both sides switching covers back and forth in order to set the depth,
also had 1 belt strip the teeth off it due to stupid human error but for the most part I wouldn't go back.

I have some older used Scotty electrics, I think they are 10-12 years old now, got them for $250 each and they looked rough when I bought them and even rougher now. They still work flawlessly for me. I'd hate to buy brand new and have issues like that especially when out fishing. =( simple is great

It's fairly common for those rod holders to break. I'm keeping my 15 yr old ones i had Scotty rebuild last winter for another year at least, until they get all the bugs out.

Took my sick rigger to GoneFishin in courtenay,Jorden worked on it for a bit and found the gear on top of the motor to be the problem.Working smooth now.
The rod holders are junk...I will be using strikers now on.

Took my sick rigger to GoneFishin in courtenay,Jorden worked on it for a bit and found the gear on top of the motor to be the problem.Working smooth now.
The rod holders are junk...I will be using strikers now on.

Thanks CC

My rod holder already broke. Quick hands saved the rod/reel. My fault really. I got into the habbit use the rod holder to leverage up/pull the downrigger up to miss kelp and to retrieve the clip.

JL

which rod holder are the one that are breaking? are they the single black plastic boom mounted ones that comes with it or the dual stainless models?
I have the latter and they seem very well made I have cranked on them a couple times and there is not much give
Tim

which rod holder are the one that are breaking? are they the single black plastic boom mounted ones that comes with it or the dual stainless models?
I have the latter and they seem very well made I have cranked on them a couple times and there is not much give
Tim

Tim

The one I broke was the stainless rocket launcher.

JL

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the holders. From the start new they were weak that's why they warned people in writing not to use for halibut fishing. But what broke? I can't tell from the pictures.

Back