Scotty Downriggers

herronjoe

The wife and I got back from fishing off of Ucluelet last week. Fishing was pretty good but has been better in the past. Now to the meat of the matter. Upon arriving home we parked the boat and cleaned it up. I left the downriggers on the boat and did not bother to disconnect them from the power plug ins. Guess what we found today when we went to work on the cabin of the boat. One of them had shorted out at the plug in. It got so hot that it melted the connection plus the fiberglass to which it was attached. The cord had partially melted and dripped onto the deck! I quickly checked the fuse and it was blown. I think it blew somewhere during the melt down stage or the boat would have caught fire. To add to my dismay the boat is brand new and doesn't even have 100 hours on it yet. Has anyone else had such a problem? I can not think of anything that would have caused this to happen. I will be sending the down rigger into Scotty for repairs. Any ideas out there?

I would be looking at the Socket first. Was it a Scotty socket, or aftermarket. Who installed it, you or the dealer. If it was the dealer go after him for the repairs. It arc'd at the point of the short which sounds like the socket.

Tough one herronjoe, I agree with Seawolf and yo mamma.
What size fuse protected the circuit? It could be that there were some loose strands at the conductors behind the plug in side of the plug. In my opinion the plug and plugin are of a poor design. I have thought about replacing my plugins and sockets with "Twistlock" type plugins.
I have had a pair of Scottie electrics that have been trouble free for several years, part of there maintance is to clean the contacts. But as I mentioned I think that there plugin is of a real poor design, They are a friction type only connection that over a period of time loses ther ability to make a positive connection, this in turn will cause a heat build up.
Davie

I installed them myself. They plugins are about 12 years old and were on my old boat. When I purchased the new boat I moved them over. I have always used a 30 amp in line fuse and never had any problem with in the past. I do not have the installation instructions any longer but am sure it said to use a 30 amp fuse. Now I have to find a fiber glass repair shop and hope they can match the gel coat. I will check with Scotty on the recommended amp fuse to make sure I have the right fuse. I would also like to know about another type of plug in. Bravefart, you mentioned a twist in type plug. Who makes those and where can you purchase them? Thands in advance!

Sorry to hear about your problem. :( I looked in my Scotty installation paperwork (I keep stuff like that :) ) and it says a 30 amp fuse should be used. I don't understand why your darn fuse didn't protect against overheating. [}:)]

I also noticed in the paperwork the following: "The downrigger should not be left plugged in when not in use." But as far as I'm concerned, the whole darn power supply in a boat should be disconnected (or switched off) when the boat is not in use. I must be getting old.

Good Luck

What size conductor are you using, and are your terminations good?

Davie

It almost sounds like some moisture got into the connection and caused the short to occur and a large draw on the battery resulted in arching and the heating up of the connection. it will arch under the rated fuse size no problem. 12v can put out lots of heat under a "short" or "arc" condition

the other possiblity is that the switch on the dr some how closed causing the motor to draw current and the fuse held too long and the cnnection wasn't good resulting in a lower than 30 amp draw and the connection overheated and eventually poped the fuse when the current increased

This assumes the polarity was wired correctly

Good luck with your repairs

Most fuses have a rating that is 2.5 to 3 times rated current. That is to say a sudden inrush above the 30 amps will not blow the fuse. However a constant draw at 30 amps on 12 volts will create about 400 watts of heating.
You most likely had a bad connection in the socket and this is what caused your problem, either corrosion or moisture. Unplugging your downriggers would not make a difference unless your downrigger was stuck in run and continued to draw power.
I would consider it just bad luck, complain to maker of the socket and see if they offer any compensation. If it looks like the melt began on the backside of the plug I would also look at going to a larger gauge wiring from the socket to the battery.

12 yrs old? I have had to replace my scotty plugs at least every couple years. You really got 12 yrs out of a set?

Yes the DR's are 12 years old. I only use them for two weeks each year. I plan on having the DR checked out by the local Scotty rep. It at least needs a new plug, as the old one completley melted. I consider myself lucky that the whole boat didn't go up in smoke. The boat had been setting in the driveway after returning from the ocean for eight days before the damage happened. Where I live it has been in the high 80's to low 90's each day without rain. I don't think water had anything to do with it. We fished for 12 days at Ucluelet with no problems at all. I double check the power switches on the DR before traveling to make sure they are turned off. The guys at the marina told them they have never seen one do this before. I know it was installed correctly. Besides it gave us no problem the time we were fishing. The wires leading from the battery to the plug did not melt! The plug has to have been the problem. I will have to remember to change them out every few years. Thanks for the ideas on what might have gone wrong.

just to add a little more to your dismay...the plugs are one of few parts not covered by Scottys life time warranty.

Back