Scotty Braided Line Spectra vs Dyneema

Striper Sniper

Hi all, I am looking for some feedback. Does anyone know what the difference is between the Scotty Spectra and Dyneema braided downrigger lines is. Crappy Tire has the 400' 250lb. test Dyneema for $59 while Wally Mart has the same in Spectra for $75.......... Thanks, SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Haven't tried the Scotty Spectra but I am not all that happy with the Scotty Dyneema. Easy to handle etc...but way more drag. I'm running one with wire and one with Dyneema at the moment. Haven't noticed a difference in catch, probably becasue I haven't caught a lot lately. I know a bunch of guys that bought a bulk spool of PowerPro in 150 or 200lb test and are using that and seem to be very happy.

Hey SS

Save your money and just buy a spool of Power Plus or Tuff Xp. I bought 300 yards of 130 lbs Tuff XP in Neon yellow and used to spool all three of my downriggers. I use the Scotty rubber snubber that breaks at a reported 75 lbs, so you do not need to go to a heavy test line. I like it and it seems to be holding up well, althought I have just used it for this season.

My two cents

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Thanks RBS and SS, I already made the Crappy Tire purchase being afraid to miss out on a good deal \. :D I also bought 300' of 150 lb. Power Pro off of eBay but since doing so I found out that there are some cheap Chinese clones out there and I was afraid to use it and loose my balls, oohs, I guess I could of worded that one better.;) SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Striper,

Just my opinion but I don't think you'll be happy with the 250lb. It creates a lot of drag and blowback. There is a very noticable difference between how the 250lb performs compared to the 200lb. I've had both on the boat at the same time and 200lb is much much better so I now have all 3 riggers filled with 200lb. I'm sure the 150lb would be even less drag. If you haven't already installed it I say take it back and get the 150lb or 200lb Power Pro, especially if you like to fish deep some times.

If you run the lower pound test, your counters will be out. That's the reason scotty uses 250lb. They also claim that the drag isn't as bad as it appears. The light weight line casuses a belly near the surface. It does make it a little harder the read your trolling speed by the angles of your line.

quote:Originally posted by c.r.angler

If you run the lower pound test, your counters will be out. That's the reason scotty uses 250lb. They also claim that the drag isn't as bad as it appears. The light weight line casuses a belly near the surface. It does make it a little harder the read your trolling speed by the angles of your line.

With my 130, I am out about 1.5 ft at 200 ft, and I can live with that, so not sure what you mean by the counter being out. Maybe on some older downriggers, but it is not enough for me to worry about.

SS

Fishing001.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

quote:Originally posted by c.r.angler

With my 130, I am out about 1.5 ft at 200 ft, and I can live with that, so not sure what you mean by the counter being out. Maybe on some older downriggers, but it is not enough for me to worry about.

SS

Fishing001.jpg

Just repeating what I was told. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

Back