Savary Island anchoring?

GeraldR

Any Savary folks here? Going to spend a week with friends on Savary in late July and wanted to boat over from Campbell River. Is it suitable to anchor there or is really exposed? I have a 20ft Double eagle. Cheers

NW (usual summer direction) is completely exposed - which is why most locals put down a mooring buoy, otherwise it can get pretty bouncy. Even a SE wraps around a surprising amount. Lots of people do anchor, but you'd want to watch the forecast and have a Plan B for when it picks up.

I’ve anchored there a quite a few times and it’s an easy place to anchor but like everyone else said, watch the NW wind. A friend had his boat end up on the Sandy beach a few years ago during a big summer NW wind.

my boat pulled anchor and rubbed through another boat. sorry lesson learned. a sudden NW overnight and only using a normal anchor technique in the sand was the issue.
some will even move/anchor their boats around to the other side of the island during the NW blow. Sandy on that side too.

the prawns in this sandy area are delicious. they come up almost a light tan colour.

Glad this thread came up, as I was kicking the tires on the same thing. We are camping there in early August and had thought of running our 17' over from Miracle Beach. I am not sure I would sleep well at night with it just being on anchor - perhaps there is someone in the know with friends or info on mooring buoys? haha

Glad this thread came up, as I was kicking the tires on the same thing. We are camping there in early August and had thought of running our 17' over from Miracle Beach. I am not sure I would sleep well at night with it just being on anchor - perhaps there is someone in the know with friends or info on mooring buoys? haha
Even on a buoy it wouldn't be a great sleep if the wind picked up. Very busy and very exposed.

I remember with my last boat : a campion explorer 165 after unsuccessfully fishing sarah point i decided to tie off to someone’s mooring buoy at Savary and setup my ghetto sleeping tarp and bbq. within minutes i had about six men on shore with binoculars checking me out. i was eating my steak and waving at them. they were not the least bit amused. in retrospect it was pretty ignorant on my part. sorry fellas :)

Its going to take a pretty serious wind to drag anchor. If the forecast is decent you have nothing to worry about . If you get caught over there and the forecast changes just go park the boat in Lund at the marina and catch the taxi back over.

I remember with my last boat : a campion explorer 165 after unsuccessfully fishing sarah point i decided to tie off to someone’s mooring buoy at Savary and setup my ghetto sleeping tarp and bbq. within minutes i had about six men on shore with binoculars checking me out. i was eating my steak and waving at them. they were not the least bit amused. in retrospect it was pretty ignorant on my part. sorry fellas :)
Friendly Savary at its best!
I use to stop by to say hi to friends on my way up north to go gillnetting. Tied up to the government wharf, when I told them I was not the prawn boat not did I have prawns for sale, I was told to leave immediately.
What I proceeded to do next is not fit to write on a family friendly forum such as this.

Its going to take a pretty serious wind to drag anchor. If the forecast is decent you have nothing to worry about . If you get caught over there and the forecast changes just go park the boat in Lund at the marina and catch the taxi back over.
Yes, but if sleeping on board it might be uncomfortable. That shallow patch makes for some pretty steep waves when the winds get up to 20 knots.

Friendly Savary at its best!
I use to stop by to say hi to friends on my way up north to go gillnetting. Tied up to the government wharf, when I told them I was not the prawn boat not did I have prawns for sale, I was told to leave immediately.
What I proceeded to do next is not fit to write on a family friendly forum such as this.
haha yup! i was there a couple summers ago with my family and we pulled up to the dock and we’re watching all these kids jumping into the ocean. my oldest who was around 12 at the time was mustering up the courage to join them when a woman yells out. “ Excuse me can we help you?” real rude like.
i nicely ask if my kids could join the others and she asked me if i was a resident. i just smiled and drove away. all these special quaint little islands are being snapped up by rich hoity toity types who have little use for common folk.

I hope you dumped your holding tank in front of them.

Its going to take a pretty serious wind to drag anchor. If the forecast is decent you have nothing to worry about . If you get caught over there and the forecast changes just go park the boat in Lund at the marina and catch the taxi back over
I’ve had neighbour drag anchor while stern tied a few boats over in desolation sound where it’s really protected. We thought about overnighting at Savory near a friends cabin but after a week of windy nights in protected desolation sound I thought better of it and headed for home.

Your setup would help? how much and what size chain/anchor and style etc etc... if winds forecast to pickup put a cannonball on the anchor where your rode and chain meet will make a huge difference, little shittier to pull up later but that’s what the liquid courage is for. Scope is also your friend in a wind be mindful of other boats but more scope will help you stay planted in the sand.

If it blows up, or you're tired of the attitude go hide out in okeover it's just a tad into desolation, or even the Copelands, stickier ocean floor than savary for sure.

More than a few lumps on the less fancy part of savary so be careful over that side.

Btw I've tried too many times and have always been skunked at Sarah pt, and the yachties coming out of desolation won't shift course.5 of a degree so they insist on ripping right through the fleet. Same off epsom with the fleet and their flags ripping to Pender harbor. Guess that's gonna be game on again this year, time to load up the wrist rocket and its marbles.

Wow, missed the notifications for this. Good point on anchor setup. 14lb danforth with 45 ft of chain (pretty heavy, not sure how measure size on chain, I'll attach a photo) and 200 ft of rope. 20210712_172048.jpg
20210712_171810.jpg

Back