Saturday May 6, Vancouver Report

fishin_magician

Hi Folks!

So, it's Saturday morning, and it's about 530, and we pulled up to the Vanier Park launch thinking we're the first ones to get out on the water, the wind was coming out of the east at a stiff 15 knots. Wow!

So we headed out, dropped the crab traps, and dropped the lines in...and away we went. Off Pt. Grey. We trolled around for a good 3 hours..nadda bite...kinda difficult fishing..and one way trolling. Anyways...around 8 o'clock a local guide firm, Bonnie Lee Charters shows up in Force with 3 boats. First pass out to the Pt. Grey Bellbuoy..and they hook a keeper...What! we just trolled right on by! After another half hour with nothing...we headed over towards Cowan, and I we got our first fish on, a hard hitting 10lber at 135 feet on a 3.5" Glo-Flo Coyote.

We look over and then we see High-Five hook up and land one too. (Another local charter firms boat).

We then reverse course and head back toward the bellbuoy...not a touch. Boring boring...with a good spattering of rain and plenty of wind...wow! Good thing my friend Dean has a nice cabin on his Bayliner! Anyways...we were listening in the the Horseshoe Bay guys on the radio all of them fishing Tunstall, and it sounded like there were a few of the Sewell's guide boats fishing in there. They sounded kinda bored, with them checking in with eachother regularly and nothing much happening.

Anyways..we headed back in and back and forth...and around 1130 well into English Bay we hooked another fine fish..and this time it was my turn....or was it? 75 feet on a 4.0 Kermit Coyote. Not to be...it was on...I put the hooks into the fish hard..and got a good initial run out of the fish. Then, it was evident that this was a big fish or a seal. SEAL! Darn! Anyways...I got a good look at the fish when the seal came up..and it was a beautiful chrome bar of at least the size of Dean's fish. Then it came loose, and I reeled in the remains of Sally the seals mid day snack, a head from at least a 10 lb or bigger fish.

Anyways..we stuck around for another hour..and nothing. We listened in and heard another Bonnie Lee Boat pick up another...

All in all I could counted 11 boats fishing the area and I know of at least 5 legal fish hooked.

Observations..there's a gang of seals out there...at least 5 seals today that where following several boats..and if you hook one...chances are slim you're going to get it in. Sad that DFO won't DO something about these seals.

Anyways..that's the report.

:)

We decided to call it a day and head back for the crab trap pulling up 7 keepers in one trap.

That was it. Looks to me like there's a few fish there...it's just a question of putting your time in.

was one of the 11 boats out there. was by myself, landed 4 one being a keeper.. nice slab at 14lb so clean it looked batteries powered , blue 4" coyote. picked up a 22" on a tiger prawn glow squirt and green mini flasher. all between 95 and 120 feet.

Hey! Nice going! Were you in the white Whaler, a smaller red boat, the green aluminum or the Bayliner 2452? My friend's boat goes a bit fast, and the wind made life interesting.

Half the boats out there were guide boats today.

That algae bloom messed things up a bit. Hooked that number of fish as we did given the number of boats out there, if that algae bloom hadn't been there, we all would have doubled our catch.

This is pretty decent fishing for a day like today..and actually, the number of larger fish is SIGNIFICANTLY higher this year.
:)

My boats half red with an off white top... actually looks more grey. Malibu 175 with white Suzuki 150 loud stinky old beast.
the keeper was half way to the QA
that algae build up on the line gets annoying when it accumulates on the first guide....

Hey! I saw you out there!

That was pretty crummy weather yesterday...

With the fraser freshet on top, mixing with the algae bloom, that must have made for some interesting light penetration qualities. We got our fish on the Glo-Flo Coyotes.

Actually, this has to be BEST the winter fishery for keeper size Chinook in Vancouver in YEARS.

Was yours white or red? Dean's was white and the one the seal took was white--I could see the white flesh on the back of the head I got back.

Red spring ...short, deep and wide... solid beef cake. Actually came in pretty easy...caught barley under size fish this winter that peeled more line than this one, but you could feel the weight...I love to feel those head shakes.
seems like tones of bait out there...I trolled parallel to a tide line that was just east of the QA about 4:00 pm yesterday. all along for hundreds of meters the surface was alive with bait. if a guy had one of those casting nets he could fill a bucket in no time.
never tried that or thought about it before.. thinking about it I bet it would be a blast.
what kind of bait fish would that have been?

Yeah..it was a blustery weekend here too...weather like we should have had in April! At times cold, windy, and unsettled with plenty of showers.

I heard from a friend of a friend that he was out this morning and managed a couple of 16 inchers...and he saw one boat off the QA get one something like 15 lbs...

I didn't make it out today..but actually today was nicer than yesterday...oh well.

Times like these I just want to go back to F/T guiding...

A clue? The red boat might have been the red monster? But since there were no fish in the boat [:0] maybe it was someone else. :D

PS: It was quite windy that day for a while.

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

A clue? The red boat might have been the red monster? But since there were no fish in the boat [:0] maybe it was someone else. :D

PS: It was quite windy that day for a while.
You were supposed to let us geuss!Like the game of trying to geuss your boat make.remember?
I like games[:p]

Back