SALTWATER SERIES V4 OUTBOARDS?

Going back to a 2 stroke ?
looking at a podded 18 hourston w/cuddy with a 1998 or so yammy 130 v4 and a 2013 8hp high thrust yammy its temping at the price range, I talked to the local yammy dealer here and he said the 130's were decent the 200's had issues and to make sure to use yamalube 2 stroke mix. But I dunno its tempting for sure then eventually upgrade to a 4 stroke again.

Had one on a 175 Malibu. Great motor never gave me a lick of trouble, ran that motor for 10 years. All I ever did to it was regular maintenance every year.

Last edited:
Ray I run 2 the 2 stroke because they are simple to work on, there were lots of cheap ones with issues to buy for spare parts...which allows you to get enough to build and rebuild another spare and have a complete inventory of spare parts. All for under $12,000. That is for the motor on the boat, a rebuilt zero hour spare and another engine broken down as parts I keep in totes. It means I haven't been down for more than a day waiting for repairs or parts. Important for me and not disappointing people who have traveled to me to fish. I couldn't afford to do that with 4 strokes....would only have the one on my boat and if it had problems I would miss work.

I talked to the local yammy dealer here and he said the 130's were decent the 200's had issues and to make sure to use yamalube 2 stroke mix. But I dunno its tempting for sure then eventually upgrade to a 4 stroke again.
I ran 2 strokes for quite a few years, would never go back.
the fuel savings alone justify the cost.
just my opinion

Hold out for an Etec! DI 2 strokes are another breed altogether. Quiet, clean, smooth and economical like a 4 stroke but with the torque of a 2 stroke. BRP dealers still in business and parts availability is about as normal as it gets given the mess Covid has made of supply chains.

I have had a '96 Yamaha 115 for 8 years now. It's been reliable although a thirsty, a bit smokey particularly on a cold start, and rough at idle, lots of torque out of the hole, so you know, its a two stroke. Gets the job done but not winning any style points!

Yamaha still sells V4 and V6 and 3 cylinder inline two strokes here in Mexico. 4 strokes are more popular but still plenty of them running daily.

I do 2 trips to Otter Point a day from inside Sooke Harbour and burn 15 gallons..includes 9 hours on the kicker.

Back