Saltwater license fees for the good of the fish......

Sculpin

Would you pay 50 bucks more for a saltwater license if you knew it was going towards enhancement and not general revenue?

The out of Country licenses would obviously be adjusted as well to suit the increase.

Just throwing this out there as IMO we need some money to help our fish period. The government is doing nothing.

Look at the threads regarding hatcheries, steelhead, etc. It's all depressing really. Yet we have people bitching about 5 bucks to pay for admin fees on the licenses.

Anyways, just wondering how many folks that utilize the resource are willing to step up and pay more for a saltwater license. One that is the most generous in the world when it comes down to species and allowable limit's. This is only for the funds to go directly to fisheries related programs.

Blast away.........

Last edited by a moderator:
I pay close to 135.00 for all my licenses, tags, fresh and salt and would gladly give another 50.00 to support fisheries enhancement, but I would direct it to Wild Steelhead projects.

Nope...... You can't guarantee the government won't have there hand in. They did it before who will ensure all the money goes back?

To fund fishery enhancement has to be done through lobbying in Ottawa, and fundraising events put on through our sports fishing community.

I pay close to 135.00 for all my licenses, tags, fresh and salt and would gladly give another 50.00 to support fisheries enhancement, but I would direct it to Wild Steelhead projects.
BGM, I would gladly pay even $200 or $300 a year, if I knew that it would go to habitat protection and restoration and that those areas would remain protected in perpetuity. Unfortunately there is only one thing that will save wild steelhead - clean fresh water. You could raise 100 million dollars every year and it still wouldn't be enough to take water away from urbanization, rural industrialization and agriculture. Steelhead need rearing habitat and 90% of that is associated with plenty of uncontaminated water. The future for wild steelhead is not bright, I fear. And the biggest crime of it all is that with the exception of the 40 or 50,000 of us steelheaders in B.C. no one else really cares.:(

I would also want laws in place that protect that support and that any transgression would result in serious fines and jail time and confiscation of personal property for any government employee or representative (i.e. politician) that meddles with those funds and uses them for anything outside of that mandate. I no longer trust ANY government to manage my funds for anything other than the generation of the next round of votes

Nope...... You can't guarantee the government won't have there hand in. They did it before who will ensure all the money goes back?

To fund fishery enhancement has to be done through lobbying in Ottawa, and fundraising events put on through our sports fishing community.

Not so great attitude SV :(. I hear ya, but let's keep a positive outlook on the idea and hear what others think.

I know I appreciate what your saying.... Just getting depressed so many things/projects are getting cut back on the island/mainland.. I just can't see just the increase license thing working. I think it would if we could as a group guarantee they wouldn't touch the money. How to do it maybe someone has more ideas? Anything is a good thing....

Maybe a group other than DFO in charge of license system?

I know I appreciate what your saying.... Just getting depressed so many things/projects are getting cut back on the island/mainland.. I just can't see just the increase license thing working. I think it would if we could as a group guarantee they wouldn't touch the money. How to do it maybe someone has more ideas? Anything is a good thing....

Maybe a group other than DFO in charge of license system?

I don't think DFO is in charge anymore. Probably outsourced it etc. kinda like the commercial fishery monitoring. Just sayin'.

Anyways, back on track. Would you pay the extra 50 bucks?

I would have no problem paying it if there was a way to make sure it went towards enhancement
and not the linings of some bureaucrats pocket or sensless multimillon dollar reports that tell us what we already know!
Sorry John not trying to sound negative, but I dont believe our Govt would put 100% of that money towards the bettermeant of
the resource, It would be like asking a wolf to watch over the hen house,
but I know exactly where you are coming from and commend you something needs to be done

The saltwater license is ridiculously cheap for bc residents I'd gladly pay more if the $ was going directly to enhancement.

I started the other thread and it was a two part beef you may have missed. 1) I have 4 licenses to buy and two are for minors who are supposed to be free yet the vendor wanted a surcharge for each. 2) The online system requires a different log in for each license and I felt like I'd have to create email addresses for my two kids under 5 years old to get them a license online which is inconvenient.

I would have no problem paying it if there was a way to make sure it went towards enhancement
and not the linings of some bureaucrats pocket or sensless multimillon dollar reports that tell us what we already know!
Sorry John not trying to sound negative, but I dont believe our Govt would put 100% of that money towards the bettermeant of
the resource, It would be like asking a wolf to watch over the hen house,
but I know exactly where you are coming from and commend you something needs to be done

Thanks Tim. The thread is more of a constructive conversation piece than anything. I hear you and SV about not trusting the government.

Maybe we could make it work that the funds get directed to the PSF or something?. Someone that is outside of government but accountable non the less.

The province directs the full proceeds of fresh water license fees towards fisheries enhancement programs. Same now for the conservation tag, all proceeds now go to the PSF. I would gladly pay more any day if we could direct those funds to a fully diverse and integrated recovery plan. However, that doesn't mean just dump more hatchery fish into the ocean. We need a truly integrated program (habitat improvement/enhancement, stream fertilization, net pens, hatcheries, predator control). More hatcheries are not always the answer. Everything in moderation is a better approach, especially until science can figure out what exactly is impeding ocean survival. Dumping a whack of hatchery smolts into our oceans could be teaching natural predators how to adapt and take advantage of a sudden influx of abundant food.

The province directs the full proceeds of fresh water license fees towards fisheries enhancement programs. Same now for the conservation tag, all proceeds now go to the PSF. I would gladly pay more any day if we could direct those funds to a fully diverse and integrated recovery plan. However, that doesn't mean just dump more hatchery fish into the ocean. We need a truly integrated program (habitat improvement/enhancement, stream fertilization, net pens, hatcheries, predator control). More hatcheries are not always the answer. Everything in moderation is a better approach, especially until science can figure out what exactly is impeding ocean survival. Dumping a whack of hatchery smolts into our oceans could be teaching natural predators how to adapt and take advantage of a sudden influx of abundant food.

Good post above. I would gladly pay more but in addition to the above I would like to see education integrated into the licensing system and for some questionable sportfishing practices altered for the benefit of the fish. And I'll leave it at that without starting a huge de-rail.

I've thought about this before. I don't trust the money would be used effectively when it goes into the big bureaucracy.

I'd rather donate to a local cause (which I do) where my hope is it has a bigger impact on my local scene.

Is this not about saltwater licences? I'd pay more if it actually went to salmon enhancement primarily chinook salmon and coho....Not Pinks!!!!! Steelhead is more of a concern in my mind of the fresh water anglers. Raise the costs of their licensees to protect steelhead :) Either buy a boat and support the economy and lower the pressure on spawning fish or pay more for the licenses :cool: LOL Sorry...

But really what I'd like to see is a sportsman's card that allows guys to hunt and fish under one licence that is valid for more then a year. Eliminate all the paper work and BS and start protecting all of our resources. But first we'd need to stop the sale of the resources by our government.

Is this not about saltwater licences? I'd pay more if it actually went to salmon enhancement primarily chinook salmon and coho....Not Pinks!!!!! Steelhead is more of a concern in my mind of the fresh water anglers. Raise the costs of their licensees to protect steelhead :) Either buy a boat and support the economy and lower the pressure on spawning fish or pay more for the licenses :cool: LOL Sorry...

But really what I'd like to see is a sportsman's card that allows guys to hunt and fish under one licence that is valid for more then a year. Eliminate all the paper work and BS and start protecting all of our resources. But first we'd need to stop the sale of the resources by our government.

great idea in the second paragraph.... unfortunately you know it would never come to fruition with our governments... they tend to love creating paperwork, not eliminating or reducing it...

Good idea, but many young families would not be able to pay that much money if
they have a large family. Better off donating money for various projects by those
that can.

Good idea, but many young families would not be able to pay that much money if
they have a large family. Better off donating money for various projects by those
that can.

true enough, but maybe why not have the option to purchase an all in one? tick off the boxes you want. freshwater, saltwater, hunting, i know i'd be all in... and i'm sure alot more people besides me would too... i know we've all been in a line before buying multiple licences and you have to feel sorry for the person who has to take all your info down 2 or three times to purchase multiple licences... and people waiting behind you getting impatient...

Back