Salted Ice

M

missingaddi

I will be staying in Poett Nook 3rd week of August and would like to fill up my 150 qt cooler with salted ice in Port Alberni or Nanaimo on my way there. Can anyone recommend the best place?

Or try "Dry Ice" (Frozen carbon dioxide)! You can pick it up at:

PRAXAIR CANADA INC.
2515 McCullough Road
Nanaimo BC V9S 4M9
250-758-5248

The advantage of Dry Ice over Salted Ice is that you get a "melting" temperature of -78.5°C (-109°F) instead of roughly -10°C (14°F) with salted ice. Also, when it "melts" it goes DIRECTLY from solid state to gas. There's no liquid state - hence no water accumulating in the bottom of the cooler. Count on about 7-10 pounds/24hours of consumption of dry ice depending how good your cooler is. Remember that one solid piece will last longer than chunks!

I have a big cooler that I divide (with a plastic separator) into two compartments. One compartment I fill with dry ice - the other with freshly vaccuum packed fish. The dry ice becomes smaller with time, and this suits me well, since the amount of fish increases with time (hopefully [:I]) and I simply move the plastic divider to accommodate both! We've stayed out there for up to a week on my little 20' Trophy without any problems! For those of you who wonder about the vaccuum thing, I bring an electric vaccuum packer on my boast that I hook up the deep cycle battery with a power inverter! Then I pray for good weather![8D]

Oppi

I'm pretty sure Mills Landing in Bamfield has salt ice as well. Not sure if he only keeps it available for his guests or will sell to the public as well. Might want to check with Brad.

The "dry ice" option sounds like a good idea for multi-day trips.

As for "salted ice" does anyone mix and freeze their own? If so, what are the mixing ratios? I'm assuming that it lasts longer than normal ice?

I've thought about putting an inverter in the boat as well. Especially if it's a "no load shut down" one, worth the little extra dough to save your battery.

quote:Originally posted by opp-i-ottan

PRAXAIR CANADA INC.
2515 McCullough Road
Nanaimo BC V9S 4M9
250-758-5248

The advantage of Dry Ice over Salted Ice is that you get a "melting" temperature of -78.5°C (-109°F) instead of roughly -10°C (14°F) with salted ice. Also, when it "melts" it goes DIRECTLY from solid state to gas. There's no liquid state - hence no water accumulating in the bottom of the cooler. Count on about 7-10 pounds/24hours of consumption of dry ice depending how good your cooler is. Remember that one solid piece will last longer than chunks!

I have a big cooler that I divide (with a plastic separator) into two compartments. One compartment I fill with dry ice - the other with freshly vaccuum packed fish. The dry ice becomes smaller with time, and this suits me well, since the amount of fish increases with time (hopefully [:I]) and I simply move the plastic divider to accommodate both! We've stayed out there for up to a week on my little 20' Trophy without any problems! For those of you who wonder about the vaccuum thing, I bring an electric vaccuum packer on my boast that I hook up the deep cycle battery with a power inverter! Then I pray for good weather![8D]

Oppi

Sounds like a great system, however I don't know if a fisheries inspector would appreciate your ingenuity. Bucking your fish into pieces small enough to vacuum seal before you get home might cause you problems if you are stopped.

Hey Missingaddi, Poett Nook has excellent shaved ice for $3.50 a bag. The bags are the large fish bags and I believe 4 would fill your cooler (I have the same one). Striper Sniper

ps I add sea water and make a slush that will last for at least 4 days in your cooler.:)

True Big Guy... never thought of that! [:0] This is an interesting issue! I always cut and pack at the end of the day so the day's catch would be safe! But previous days' cathes might cause a problem you say? What are DFO regulations regarding previous days' catches that happen to still be on the boat? When going on guided trips, Big Time, St. John's, Langara, etc... they always cut and vaccuum pack everything for everybody at the end of every single day! Would that not be the same? Would it help to keep heads and tails attached to each other after removing the fillets? I haven't done that so far, but I would, if it would help to keep me out of trouble.;)

Oppi

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

quote:Originally posted by opp-i-ottan

PRAXAIR CANADA INC.
2515 McCullough Road
Nanaimo BC V9S 4M9
250-758-5248

Oppi

Sounds like a great system, however I don't know if a fisheries inspector would appreciate your ingenuity. Bucking your fish into pieces small enough to vacuum seal before you get home might cause you problems if you are stopped.

Hi, Opti.

I'm not an expert on DFO packing regulations. I think what they want is for each individual fish portion to be labeled and identified with species and who caught it. Even that may not satisfy them, none of the fish may be skinned. The species must be"readily identifiable"
Where a size limit applies, you may be in trouble if can't be determined if the fish met the size restriction. The only way to be sure you'll have no problems is to fillet a salmon and leave one side with the tail still attatched. Even then the fillet must be obviously over the size limit with the head removed.

I'm sure a lot of people don't pay much attention to how they pack their fish for transport. The fisheries dept can get very sticky about it if your stopped. I've been stopped a couple of times for roadside inspections. I always make sure to keep within the regs, so I've never had any problems. I'm not saying it's likely to happen, but you never know when you might get stopped. Just a word to the wise.

TheBigGuy

If you have the right ice to salt water combinaton, you can keep whole salmon intact for five days, I believe the commercial guys do, corect me if I am wrong. I like to bleed them as soon as they are caught, cut out the gills and it does not hurt to get the guts out but not nesescary if the ice bath is right.... just my experience.:D Striper Sniper

Big Guy,

Thanks... 'preciate it! Never been stopped road-side! I've had the DFO inspect my boat and catch several times without any hassle. They've actually been very courteous and nice, even helpful with fishing tips if they've had any! I do think though, that with some of the regulations in the booklet, it's actually hard to glean exactly what they're looking for! Also, just because the guiding companies are doing it a certain way, doesn't mean that the DFO approves of it, or that they will necessarily apply the same rules to individuals. I often get the impression that it's up to the individual officer to judge if he trusts you or not! Next time I'm in False Creek, I'll pop in at the DFO and ask what I should do.

I'll keep you posted when I find out!

Cheers,

Oppi

I keep my fish intact, no problem with DFO....you can cut out the gills and the guts or leave them intact for at least 3 days, check with the commercial guys (do bleed them hoevever) .....Striper Sniper :D

Yeah... I think that's what I'll do! Clean the guts and gills out but keep the rest of the fish intact! I just found out that there are vaccuum bags big enough for my vaccuum packer to take a whole fish - even quite big ones! I can chunk and re-pack it @ home! The REALLY BIG ones (40+lb Springs) you just have to make sure you keep the fillet attached to the tail (it's easy to identify a Spring by looking at the tail) and that the fillet and tail are over legal size!

Thanks for the advise...
Hans

Thanks for everyone's input. I won't be arriving Nanaimo until 7:45 PM and will be spending the night in Alberni so getting it Nanaimo won't work out. I found a place in Alberni called Port Fish. I called and asked them if they sold salt ice to sportfishers and they said yes so that is where I will pick it up.

I think its called codfathers, bottom of Argyle street in Port Alberni right across from Port Boathouse,down the driveway behind the Blue Door resturant,we go there all the time,the girls will help you out.DAN

Back