Salt build up in Outboard Head?

Tips Up

I have my boat in the shop to have the kicker tuned up.

My tell tale has been weak lately or no water coming out right away. Rev the throttle up and it starts working fine.

Shop says there is salt build up in the head causing this and they can drill a hole to fix and then plug.
1 hour job.

Never heard of this.
Anyone?

Thanks
Tips

The tell tale hole may be partially blocked. Shove a piece of wire our weed wacker line up the hole to open it up.

All of the above-I wouldn't let anyone near the head with a drill unless I was sure of the outcome-Never heard of it(doesn't mean it isn't ok though-just cautious)

drill a hole in the head? never heard that one before..... salt in the head means , water in the head. sounds more like you need a new impeller.

Thanks for feed back.

I have done the weed wacker line trick. I keep some in tool kit on board.
This and/or Reving up has been clearing it but it seems to clog regularly. And yes I flush every use.

I'm getting impeller replaced and will ask more questions when I pick up from shop.

Run in for an hour in a trash can with fresh water and salt-a-way. Remember to do a fresh water cycle to flush out the salt-a-way. I learned that from a marine tech who does it all the time and charges $120 and hour...

Fresh water alone will not breakdown salt. I use it on my fishing rods/ reel, rain gear, pretty much anything that have heavy contact with salt water. Buy a small bottle and do a side by side test on rod, the difference is night and day.

Run in for an hour in a trash can with fresh water and salt-a-way. Remember to do a fresh water cycle to flush out the salt-a-way. I learned that from a marine tech who does it all the time and charges $120 and hour...
From the salt- a-way website

"Do not rinse Salt-Away out of engine with fresh water. Leave inside so that its corrosion inhibitors can protect the metal from rusting and corroding, and so that the salt removing agent can begin to break apart salt accumulation."

Last edited:
Honda kicker by chance?

This may sound silly but I use viniger in clean in my house all the time... what if you bought a bunch and ran that in a garbage can It's fairly in expensive.

Vinegar can work but it almost needs to be pure as its acidity is not as strong as salt away.Tried it once and it did very little

Vinegar diluted in water dissolves the salt. As explained by the above post. Flush it by running it in a garbage can or tub filled with water/vinegar. Good maintenance thing to do with older kickers.

Or, yeah salt-away I guess :) But I've never needed it

From the salt- a-way website

"Do not rinse Salt-Away out of engine with fresh water. Leave inside so that its corrosion inhibitors can protect the metal from rusting and corroding, and so that the salt removing agent can begin to break apart salt accumulation."

Interesting, thanks for the correction. I was told to rinse a long time ago and never thought to check to make sure.

I became a true believer in using it when a friend was flustered about not being able to get his painted (gloss black) aluminum boat bright and shinny after offshore trip. We would wash and was but it still looked a little dull. Then he did the slat-away rinse and was blown away.

Man, I sound like a salt-away sales monkey...

the applicator for salt away has a rinse setting? Strange?

The blue stuff in the jar only lasts so long. So I hose down the boat and trailer with the dial on rinse, then turn it to "saltaway" to squirt everything with the product. Same thing when you attach the jar to the muffs. Rinse for a while to get the motor warmed up, then turn to the other setting and let it run until the jar isn't very blue anymore.

IMG_3087 rydlime.JPG
if you really believe that salt build up is causing your problem and not weak water pump. rydlime is a very good cleaner to circulate through the engine to dissolve build up. i have used it in my cooler circuit and it works amazingly well for descaling . my engine has 5 coolers in the raw water circuit and they were all bright and clean after an hour or so of circulating this product.

I've never head of rydlime, but I'm guessing it might be a caustic agent. You should be very careful handling that stuff if it is a caustic. It may also eat into the weaker metal of an aluminum head. I have no real idea, I would just be cautious. With salt away you don't have to worry. I would do some serious investigation into the use of rydlime before I would consider using it. Perhaps it is safe, but I'd be careful if it is too scouring you could do damage.

Found this on Rydlime:

Apex Engineering Products Corporation manufactures a liquid descaler called RYDLYME Marine, which is specifically designed for marine applications and equipment. RYDLYME Marine is biodegradable in its received form without the need for neutralization. RYDLYME Marine is also non-hazardous, non-corrosive, non-injurious, and non-toxic. RYDLYME Marine is heavily fortified with wetting and penetrating agents which actually dissolves water scale, rust, mussels, barnacles, zebra mussels, tiger shells and other water formed deposits from water operated marine equipment.
RYDLYME Marine does not corrode, erode, attack, oxidize or have other deleterious effects on virtually any metal or materials found in marine water systems such as:
BRASS COPPER NICKEL IRON STEEL CARBON FIBERGLASS PAINTED SURFACES TEFLON CERAMIC GELCOATS PLASTICS TITANIUM COPPER GLASS RUBBER WOOD The exception to number 2 above, when using 100% concentrated (non-diluted) RYDLYME Marine on magnesium, zinc, and/or some alloys of aluminum (i.e. anodes, zincs, etc.), oxidation or pitting will occur. Furthermore, polished chrome and some alloys of stainless steel could become discolored. The rule of thumb is that if the alloy is designed for use in a water system (i.e. aluminum engine block, aluminum mold, etc.), the alloy should be compatible with the RYDLYME Marine solution. Otherwise, it is recommended that the RYDLYME Marine be diluted 50% or more with water when cleaning. To confirm compatibility, test in small inconspicuous location.
Before commencing a cleaning job utilizing RYDLYME Marine, all flexible or corrugated stainless steel should be temporarily replaced with rubber or similar hosing.
RYDLYME Marine has the ability to dissolve approximately 2 pounds / 1 kilo of calcium carbonate scale per gallon of concentrate used.
Most RYDLYME Marine cleaning applications can be accomplished within an average of two to four hours. When more than a six hour circulation is required, contact the manufacturer for instructions. Please use material only as directed.
The solution has the ability to dissolve deposits from some equipment while in operation and without shutdown, if auxiliary coolers are incorporated. Please contact Apex Engineering for further information.
RYDLYME Marine should be applied at ambient temperatures with no heating required. RYDLYME Marine can be used within the operating limits of 0°F / -18°C and 180°F / 82°C. If the solution does freeze, slush or thicken at the lower operating temperatures, and then thaws, there will be no reduction in performance. Please consult the manufacturer when temperatures exceed the aforementioned thresholds.

The solution is exothermic, but does not develop a substantial increase in temperature while dissolving water scale, rust, mussels, barnacles, zebra mussels, tiger shells or other water formed deposits.
Do not mix RYDLYME Marine with strong caustics or any strong oxidizers (hydrogen peroxide, bleach, sodium hypochlorite, etc.).
It is recommended, but not mandatory, that the RYDLYME Marine solution be thoroughly mixed before using. Some settling of a dark precipitate may occur, resulting in an amber colored liquid, but there are no negative affects upon the performance of the solution.
The solution does not deteriorate, oxidize, saponify, thicken or lose effectiveness for at least five years.
The concentrated solution can be held safely in the open hand without deleterious effects. It will however cause a mild stinging sensation if contact is made on an open wound or cut. If this occurs, simply rinse thoroughly with soap and water. See SDS for additional information.
The solution is of a pleasant or characteristic odor, very similar to almonds, and does not exude any obnoxious or toxic vapors. In rare instances, problematic vapors may occur when encountering high concentrations of sulfur or chlorine. Please contact the manufacturer before proceeding under these circumstances.
RYDLYME Marine is an electrolyte, as are most cleaning agents. An electrolyte is any liquid that will transfer small electrical currents. Examples: salt water, vinegar, Coca-Cola. An electrolyte may cause plating in some types of equipment. This means a transfer of small amounts of one metal onto another metal according to the galvanic corrosion chart. In some instances, a thin coating of copper may be plated onto a steel drum while circulating an electrolyte such as RYDLYME Marine. The only time plating occurs is when two dissimilar metals are in an electrolytic solution.
The solution is packaged and shipped in single gallon containers, 4x1 gallon cases, 5-gallon jugs, 30-gallon drums, 55-gallon drums and 330-gallon tote containers.
RYDLYME Marine is non-reportable under SARA Title 3: Sections 311/312/313 Categorization. RYDLYME Marine is non-reportable under CERCLA.
RYDLYME Marine does NOT contain any toxic creosols or other hazardous substances not listed in our current safety data sheet. RYDLYME Marine does not contain any VOC’s.
The foregoing specifications are applicable to our product, RYDLYME Marine, when used according to instructions that are available upon request and in NO WAY are intended to cover other uses or applications by the purchaser.

RYDLYME Marine is biodegradable. In most scenarios RYDLYME Marine can be disposed down normal sewers, please check with local ordinances to confirm disposal method.

Back