Salt Away

Red Monster

Has anyone tried Salt Away (or any other product) for flushing trailer brakes?

I just installed new backing plates, drums with oil bath bearing setup, stainless lines, tires, and flush kit.

Never used a flush system before but hope it slows down the rust. Any advice is welcomed. [8D]

I've seen guys use a pressure tank on the trailer hooked up to the flush lines. This way you can flush as soon as you pull the trailer out of the chuck. Instead of letting it sit there while you fish.and worry about the salt chewing away at all those expensive ,new parts you just bought.

I was thinking about what to do when there isn't a water hose at the ramp, and I was toying with the idea of rigging a hose to a bilge pump that runs off the power plug for the trailer lights. Then it would be simple to flush the brakes if you brought some water along.

And if that Saltaway stuff is any good, I could use some of that too.

With a little effort for flushing, maybe I could delay a lot of effort (and expense) for replacing rusty brakes.

For sure it would be best to flush after every launch instead of waiting to do it later, like at home.

Expensive is the word, just saw a bottle @ West Marine for $18.

The guys in California swear by the stuff for gear though.

Try using corrosion suppresent. DO Not get it on the shoes or pads. Comes in aerosol cans and is fairly cheap. I am a heavy duty mechanic in a saltwater area and have had very good luck with it.

Not sure of the brand name. I will look in my toolbox tonight when I get to work and post with the brand name. I believe it is crown 101 corrosion supressant but not sure. Seems to work well and smells good too.

I did spray some OMC anti-corrosion on everything after I masked the pads.

I priced the Salt-Away at $40 for a quart and Salt Terminator for $25. But in the U.S. you can buy a gallon of Salt-Away for under $40 U.S.

Fliud flim is great for some applications, it would be nice if there was a product that wasn't so thick and sticky.

Salt Away - good stuff.

Bit spendy for boat/trailer application but I like for use on riggers, rocker launchers, hardtop stainless and alum, windows and soft top, deck, rod holders, reels, tools/knives and flushing bilge. Hose-end applicator is very handy. A lot of guys I know use it to flush motors as well. orrosion flims are great but not for flushing items like reels, hardware, riggers, etc...

Friend in Cabo swears by Salt-Away for the below spread - these are fished 140-160 days per year for past 4-5years.

TheRocket-Web.jpg

I heard a guy ranting at a gas dock one time telling everyone that salt away caused his motor to blow up. I just let him rant. After he left, I told my side. I put a used Merc 150 on my boat. I ran it for years until I blew it up. I had pulled the high voltage alternator regulator off that is cooled by the water passages. It had a build up of salt on the bolt ends and in the water ports. I started using the salt away religiously. When it blew up a year ago(had never been torn down since it was new, 1989 motor)The water passages were totally cleaned out. The mechanic actually had me look at it as he never sees them this clean. Some times I shut the motor off while it is running through it and leave it in there. They recommend this with a heavily salted motor.

I spray the trailer, motors, and boat down with it along with the equipment. I think its about $32.00 a gallon and one lasts me about a year. Cheap insurance against salt. They pulled the water out of the boat ramp where I launch. I now have a fresh water tank on my boat and was thinking of using it to spray saltaway out of it on my disc brakes on my trailer before heading home. I have a spigot on the boat that I could attach my saltaway mixer on it.

Salt away comes in a concentrate and will last for couple of years for one bottle. I have used it for the past 5 years on the boat motor, rods and reels and anything else and it seems to work great. I even spray my lures and let them drip dry and they don't seem to rust.

Back