Salmon Shore Casting Vids I Made

Dan

Made these throughout the summer in East Sooke Park at or near Beechy Head, ENJOY ! ! !

First Salmon !

[gMcXMmgTuUA] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMcXMmgTuUA&

(can only post 1 vid per post..........)

Nice videos, thanks for putting them up. I'll be sure to show these to a friend of mine who wants to try fishing from shore for salmon (he doesn't have a boat).

Wow, I trolled by the "bankies" all summer and wondered if salmon were ever actually caught.
A spring landed from shore on SCVI is quite a feat! nice work.
I'm pretty sure your next project should be...... Landing a halibut Banky style :)

I watched a few good arguments between the shore guys and the boats , a few yrs back .... buzzbomb though the windshield ... last time that boat will cut someones line off ....lol

That's really cool! Thanks for sharing. Looks like the 2nd fish in the 1st video would have been a nice one. I felt the same way when it popped off the hook. DANG IT!!

"I watched a few good arguments between the shore guys and the boats , a few yrs back .... buzzbomb though the windshield ... last time that boat will cut someones line off ....lol"

I enjoy casting from the beach, and fishing from my boat. I recently had someone deliberately cast his line in my path, as if he was claiming ownership of the water. I was in some very rough water entering steveston, going around a large vessel and navigating its wake so wasnt able to adjust my course, not that I would have anyway, I didnt really notice the guy and wasnt aware that people were dumb enough to cast into the path of a boat.

Anyway, I saw him yelling and waving his arms as I was driving away, seems like he really ruined his own day. Not sure if he actually lost his line or just had to express his sense of entitlement, but either way.....

i always see guys down there casting but never seen anyone catch any... whats your success rate of the rocks?

Nearly everyone shore casting there is going for rockfish/lingcod, jigging off the bottom.
I rarely saw guys targeting salmon.
Out of about 20 summer day trips I was on salmon 4 different days and only caught legal fish on 2 of those days.
Two other guys I brought down each got 1 legal chinook. (one guy went once, the other went twice)

Great Videos! Those sure bring back a lot of great memories for me, I shore casted off beechy Head for over ten years when I was a kid... have lots of stories. Watching those vids makes me want to go find my casting gear again and get out their.
Casting off that point, always keep one eye out for a huge freighter wave! I'm sure your aware of that.... Almost cost me once. A monster swell came in just about caught me I ran up the rocks 50 feet ran past my back pack that was well up from the water line.. didn't have time to bend down and grab it.. huge swell followed me up... engulfed the entire point! I watched in disbelief as the swell picked up my back pack and it floated out with the swell out into beechy bay!! I had my truck keys and my wallet in my back pack!! I spent the next two hours spin casting trying to snag it... current sucked it right into beechy bay so I had to hike back up and then all around into the bay and wait for it to come in casting distance.. finally snagged it!!
I only had the one lure .. all my spares were in my back pack..! had one chance at it.! got it hooked up.. and ever so slowly inched it in towards shore! Got it back! I was so lucky..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back