salmon or steelhead?

Luna

Well at the end of the summer salmon fishing season I was dying for fall to see a float go down. Did a few trips and got my fix, now Iam dying to see a 25lber pump away in the rod holder, make up your mind!
What do you like better...Watching your float go down, setting and seeing that flash in the water followed by a blue chrome bar jumping out of the water and going ape S#%t. OR...Being half asleep and watching a rod pump away with a big spring followed by screaming and sulking and all hell breaking loose. I honestly don't know if I can pick one. Which one do you perfer?

Good question. For me the high had to be the winter steelie season. While I love fishing salmon both in the salt and fresh, that chrome bar that you mentioned has to be special. I fished SH mainly in the Stamp, Englishman, Little and Big Qs, Puntledge, Oyster, Nimpkish, Quatse, Salmon, Capilano, Veddar, Chehalis, Thompson, Kitimat, Tlell, Killbella, Only got to the lower Dean once. Wish I had made it more times.

Putting it all down on paper makes me realize just how lucky I was. In those days (late 60s to mid 80s) the worst thing we anglers on the Island had to worry about was the locust hoard in the form of the Kingfishers invading the rivers that we claimed as our own. Now I realize it was envy as some of those guys kept pulling fish out from under our feet after we had moved on!! ( and sometimes not yet moved on.. some of those giys were masters of the sidecast next to your ear to get you moving.[}:)])

And jeeze-- I almost forgot the fabulous fishing we had on the Squamish and Chek when I lived on the mainland. The Ranger, Wilsons and Eagle runs were awesome in "da good ol' days"

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Good question. For me the high had to be the winter steelie season. While I love fishing salmon both in the salt and fresh, that chrome bar that you mentioned has to be special. I fished SH mainly in the Stamp, Englishman, Little and Big Qs, Puntledge, Oyster, Nimpkish, Quatse, Salmon, Capilano, Veddar, Chehalis, Thompson, Kitimat, Tlell, Killbella, Only got to the lower Dean once. Wish I had made it more times.

Putting it all down on paper makes me realize just how lucky I was. In those days (late 60s to mid 80s) the worst thing we anglers on the Island had to worry about was the locust hoard in the form of the Kingfishers invading the rivers that we claimed as our own. Now I realize it was envy as some of those guys kept pulling fish out from under our feet after we had moved on!! ( and sometimes not yet moved on.. some of those giys were masters of the sidecast next to your ear to get you moving.[}:)])

And jeeze-- I almost forgot the fabulous fishing we had on the Squamish and Chek when I lived on the mainland. The Ranger, Wilsons and Eagle runs were awesome in "da good ol' days"

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder
Pls don't take it personally. As part of the "hoard" we were just very fish hungry. :D

Sure-- no problem, I forgive. :D Seeing as it was so long ago, you will forgive me too for the flat tires on your truck???? :D[}:)]:D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Blondes, brunettes, tall, short, thin, athletic, pretty or hot.

Which do you prefer?

Impossible. None are better, just different. Each very, very special in their own right!

I have given up on that one long ago.

I want them all:D

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

Sure-- no problem, I forgive. :D Seeing as it was so long ago, you will forgive me too for the flat tires on your truck???? :D[}:)]:D

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder
LOL...... i'm sure you're kidding about the tires. While i will admit that a couple of Club members were a little overly aggressive on the flows the majority (myself included)were always very respectful of other anglers - crowding and scooping wasn't necessary to catch Steelhead due to advanced technology and techniques.The big thing that a lot of people didn't know or acknowledge was that this was a group of expert anglers (some of which are members of this forum) that was always at the forefront of angler rights as well as management and conservation issues. [8D]

Cant get enough of either! Getting pretty dialed in on springs in the chuck but still a complete beak on catching steelhead which gives it alot of appeal.Cant wipe that sh*& eattin grin off my face when i see a float finally dive after freezing my butt off and hiking all over.

Back