Salmon management plan proposes big cut to B.C. chinook fisheries

ILHG

Crew Member
The Pacific Salmon Commission has recommended a conservation plan to manage salmon stocks on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border that proposes a 12.5 per cent reduction in B.C. chinook fisheries.

The agreement would run from 2019 to 2028. It was reached after two years of intense negotiations involving fishermen, First Nations, state and federal officials. It still requires approval by both the U.S. and Canadian governments.

The treaty covers pink, coho, sockeye, chum and chinook salmon and spans a territory from Cape Falcon, Ore., in the south to southeast Alaska in the north. The current agreement expires Dec. 31.

The reductions in the chinook harvest is one of the most significant parts of the deal, encompassing chinook populations listed under the U.S. Endangered Species Act, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife said.

They include chinook stocks from Puget Sound in Washington and the Columbia River basin that straddles Oregon and Washington. Those salmon migrate north hundreds of miles to British Columbia and southeast Alaska, making it important to protect their numbers all along the journey, commission members agreed.

In addition to Canada agreeing to a 12.5 per cent cut, Alaska will reduce its chinook catch by 7.5 per cent in the southeast when poor chinook returns are expected. Oregon and Washington will reduce their catch anywhere from five to 15 per cent, according to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

j50-with-her-family-j-pod.jpg
Newborn orca J50 swims with her J pod family in 2015. J50 is believed to have died recently and biologists point to a depleted population of chinook salmon, the orca's main food source, as one of the potential reasons.(Center for Whale Research)
Benefits for orcas
In a release, Washington state Gov. Jay Inslee stated the agreement would also benefit the threatened southern resident orca population.

The orcas range between Canada and the U.S. and rely on chinook as their primary food source. Their numbers have declined to just 74 animals in part because so few salmon are available for them to feed on.

This summer, the plight of a southern resident orca family known as J pod received international attention as marine biologists tracked and tried to treat the emaciated and sick female J50. Another female from the same pod spent weekscarrying the corpse of her newborn calf, eliciting worldwide sympathy.

The updated treaty was announced a few days after Washington state authorities took the highly unusual step of closing salmon fishing on a section of the main stem of the Columbia River.

The count of fall chinook at Bonneville Dam last week was 105,795 fish, about half of what is normal and 29 per cent below the preseason forecast.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...es-big-cut-to-b-c-chinook-fisheries-1.4828114

Alaska will reduce its chinook catch by 7.5 per cent in the southeast when poor chinook returns are expected

They will be happy last I herd it was suppose to be cut by 10-15%, Reporting on it is interesting Alaska managers are saying they were forced into it or the federal government was going to take control of their fishery.

Alaska Gov. Bill Walker said he had asked U.S. federal officials to consider a one-year delay in implementing a revised treaty because some fishing groups were unhappy with the proposal to reduce the harvest. That was not possible, he wrote in a statement.

“I regret the reduction of even one salmon available to Alaskans for harvest,” he said. “However, this treaty agreement protects the health and sustainability of our salmon stocks and guarantees Alaska’s ability to directly manage our fisheries without federal interference.”

Last edited:
"The agreement would run from 2019 to 2028."

"The treaty covers pink, coho, sockeye, chum and chinook salmon and spans a territory from Cape Falcon, Ore., in the south to southeast Alaska in the north. The current agreement expires Dec. 31."

Time to trade our fishing boats with cruisers....

"The agreement would run from 2019 to 2028."

"The treaty covers pink, coho, sockeye, chum and chinook salmon and spans a territory from Cape Falcon, Ore., in the south to southeast Alaska in the north. The current agreement expires Dec. 31."

Time to trade our fishing boats with cruisers....

Naw most areas got a 25%to 35% hair cut this year. Their is other things to be more worried about possible a new allocation policy comming and the SRKW.

Can't say how disappointed I am. Those that should be taking the biggest cut take the smallest.

Their is lots of coverage on this now it seems their was a real chance of the us federal government taking control of the south east Alaska fishery as they were prepared to make zero cuts and were apparently stone walling the negotiations.

Washington state pulled the nuclear option by getting some of their stocks rated as endangered. That seems to force both Canada and Alaska to make cuts to try to let more of thoe socks back to Washington.

In WA there are very many endangered stocks & they have been that way for years. There is one Puget Sound stock that travels as far as SEAK, so it looks like they threatened to let loose the endangered species act (ESA) on those A-holes.

In WA there are very many endangered stocks & they have been that way for years. There is one Puget Sound stock that travels as far as SEAK, so it looks like they threatened to let loose the endangered species act (ESA) on those A-holes.
So it is alright for you to call people A-holes but you whine like a baby if someone calls you out, you hire your guide again yet to fish in our waters

So it is alright for you to call people A-holes but you whine like a baby if someone calls you out, you hire your guide again yet to fish in our waters
I guess it is a bit ironic that due to fishing restrictions there, a WA resident has to come to BC and hire a guide in Tofino to catch salmon that mostly come from US rivers. The BC industry relies heavily on Americans coming here to catch their own fish......

This year, with weak returns, it was obvious how much of the Haida Gwaii early-summer catch was from US hatcheries. The justification for reducing the BC catch is obvious, but the small cutback in SE Alaska makes no sense at all.

I guess it is a bit ironic that due to fishing restrictions there, a WA resident has to come to BC and hire a guide in Tofino to catch salmon that mostly come from US rivers. The BC industry relies heavily on Americans coming here to catch their own fish......
Not familiar with what restrictions that they have South of the border that are more draconian than ours. Care to elaborate?

If you are really interested its in this publication. https://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01998/wdfw01998.pdf
Most areas have limited seasons for chinook, ending Sept 3 or earlier if quotas are filled, and most chinook retention is clipped only.
That seems pretty good compared to where I fish! We have slots year round,Chinook Non Retention starting August 1st each year in one portion and a total Fin Fish closure from May to the end of September in another. I’d say these are more draconian than what you describe. I’d be happy to trade a Fin Fish.
Closure that lasts all through late Spring and Summer and a Chinook non Retention for half the Summer for a full Summers fishing that closes essentially after the run has finished.

That seems pretty good compared to where I fish! We have slots year round,Chinook Non Retention starting August 1st each year in one portion and a total Fin Fish closure from May to the end of September in another. I’d say these are more draconian than what you describe. I’d be happy to trade a Fin Fish.
Closure that lasts all through late Spring and Summer and a Chinook non Retention for half the Summer for a full Summers fishing that closes essentially after the run has finished.
You have a point WA fisherman are probably not getting all excited about going to the Victoria areas, but the rest of WCVI with 2 per day clipped or unclipped looks pretty good (at least for now)

You have a point WA fisherman are probably not getting all excited about going to the Victoria areas, but the rest of WCVI with 2 per day clipped or unclipped looks pretty good (at least for now)
If I’m reading the chart right WA fishermen in area 7 (Puget Sound ) can keep unmarked Springs in July and August as well. If as you stated earlier WA residents have to travel to WCVI to catch their fish, I assume you mean American hatchery,it makes little sense to me why they wouldn’t stay home and wait for the run to return to its natal waters? Then again I guess their is a chance of also catching Fraser Springs and the actual fishing experience.

Last edited:
If I’m reading the chart right WA fishermen in area 7 (Puget Sound ) can keep unmarked Springs in July and August as well. If as you stated earlier WA residents have to travel to WCVI to catch their fish, I assume you mean American hatchery,it makes little sense to me why they wouldn’t stay home and wait for the run to return to its natal waters? Then again I guess their is a chance of also catching Fraser Springs and the actual fishing experience.

Area 7 is San Juan Islands and there is 1 Chinook unmarked retention there for a month (august 1- Sept 3) otherwise its marked fish. Puget sound is areas 8 to 13 and has a different rules in each area of closure times, mostly marked retention and quotas. By "their" fish I mean fish coming from American rivers (wild and hatchery). There are salmon coming past WCVI ranging from CA to WA (as well as WCVI and SOG fish), many of those US runs have rules limiting fisheries on them south of the border. This year the Columbia Fishery was shut down completely due to dismal returns of the fall run https://katu.com/news/local/state-officials-have-closed-the-columbia-river-to-salmon-fishing. Most WA areas close Sept 3 to chinook, about the time many of this fish arrive back in their natal waters. Maybe some American fisherman will give more insight as to why they come to BC in significant numbers.

It looked so good, a lot of their guides came up here to work. Saw a lot of US charter boats fishing our waters this year.

Last edited:
This is all good, however we also need to address the shrinking size of the chinook. No point saving more chinook, if the ones we save continue to get smaller .
WE need a total ban on sunblock sunscreen. The chemicals in this stuff is proven to kill insect life in freshwater, which in turn reduces the food source of salmon smolts.
We also need to curtail the herring fishery thus increasing the the food source of our salmon so they can grow and thrive .. Killing herring for eggs and animal food is unconscionable

We also need to curtail the herring fishery thus increasing the the food source of our salmon so they can grow and thrive .. Killing herring for eggs and animal food is unconscionable
I believe the herring fishery plays a part in the decline. I have observed over the last few years, fewer and fewer bait masses as I fish out of Comox i.e. Kitty Coleman, Grants Reef, south end of Denman/Hornby. It seems the number of seals and sea lions are on the rise at the same time, and it's typical to see masses of sea lions during the herring spawn gather. Also a whole lot of seals as well. The herring are a staple in the food chain, for a variety of species. Less herring causes some species, i.e. seals and sea lions to look elsewhere for feeding opportunities. And returning smolts from the numerous salmon producing rivers are one of those opportunities. Ironically, after eggs are harvested from the herring, the herring remains are then made into fish meal, which is a primary ingredient in fish farm pellets, all for the sake of some pretty little eggs on our sushi. IMO, the herring quotas really need to be reassessed.

Back