Salmon Farms in Discovery Islands To Go

"These facilities are some of the oldest sites on the West Coast and are located on the traditional territory of the Homalco, Klahoose, K’ómoks, Kwaikah, Tla’amin, We Wai Kai and Wei Wai Kum First Nations. Consultations with the seven First Nations in the Discovery Islands area provided important guidance to the Minister and heavily informed the decision. This approach also aligns with the Province of British Columbia’s land tenure commitment that all aquaculture licenses as of June 2022 require consent from local First Nations."

First Nations have approved some more sites out of bull Harbour at Hope Island.

Know the area well and know they already have anchors set up for another and are in talks to have one at another site around the corner. Not much sheltered area other than the two other sites for them to have them though.

Not upset about the farms being sent out (be sure they will find new locations however) but scared for the reasoning behind it. We have to stand up or will be ruled over by 4% of the population soon.
I stand with the FN and their leadership in the Broughton for making the correct and very courageous decision to remove these open net cages out of Wild Salmon habitat. I’m sure they faced a lot of pressure to cave in to big foreign conglomerates from a lot of parties.
The future for Farmed salmon is in controlled environment facilities anyway so may as well get them to get on with it and stop using the Ocean as a sewer system for free as corporate welfare at the cost of the natural environment.

It’s a start….

“Tonight, we celebrate! The feds just announced that fish farms will be phased out of the Discovery Islands over the next 18 months. That means farms currently raising fish will finish their grow-out and won’t be able to re-stock.”

I stand with the FN and their leadership in the Broughton for making the correct and very courageous decision to remove these open net cages out of Wild Salmon habitat. I’m sure they faced a lot of pressure to cave in to big foreign conglomerates from a lot of parties.
The future for Farmed salmon is in controlled environment facilities anyway so may as well get them to get on with it and stop using the Ocean as a sewer system for free as corporate welfare at the cost of the natural environment.

also glad to see them taken out. But not excited about the reasoning behind it...as that’ll boil over to fisheries and already has begun too. Think big picture, not little window.

Theres another saying in my head after reading these posts "damned if you do damned if you dont". If the first nations here had decided they wanted the farms the same folks would be blaming them for that decisions as well. This is the right move and first nations werent the only ones on the side of removing these farms think cohen comission and just about every sportsfisherman without their heads up there butt. Fisheries is changing and that isnt the fault of first nations or Justin Trudeau its called years of inaction and ignoring numbers falling off, fish farms and other pollution and habitat destruction. Sportsfisherman need to stop going after the low hanging fruit and start blaming regulators and working with first nations rather than alienating them. You're worried about the 4% when you should be worried about the 1% they have way more power and care less about salmon or sportsfisherman or the future.

Theres another saying in my head after reading these posts "damned if you do damned if you dont". If the first nations here had decided they wanted the farms the same folks would be blaming them for that decisions as well. This is the right move and first nations werent the only ones on the side of removing these farms think cohen comission and just about every sportsfisherman without their heads up there butt. Fisheries is changing and that isnt the fault of first nations or Justin Trudeau its called years of inaction and ignoring numbers falling off, fish farms and other pollution and habitat destruction. Sportsfisherman need to stop going after the low hanging fruit and start blaming regulators and working with first nations rather than alienating them. You're worried about the 4% when you should be worried about the 1% they have way more power and care less about salmon or sportsfisherman or the future.
Excellent, excellent post, Steeler! Rational, fair, balanced and nuanced.

In your words , "Going after the low hanging fruit"
is exactly what the natives and ngo are doing to the sportsfisherman, if you havent noticed.
But turn a blind eye to anything a native wants is the new norm, gotta love where this banana federation called Canada is headed

IF you want to analysis the low hanging fruit then i would say removing Fish Farms in only the Discovery Islands was the low hanging fruit. IF your a big anti fish farm person then I would say the government statement fell way flat. For example where in the statement did they acknowledge the harm fish farms has caused? or where did they say they did this for the benefit of salmon? or where did they say this is to prevent sea lice and disease? or improve salmon stocks? or to protect migrating salmon?

nope its:

" Today’s decision was not easy. I am committed to working with all involved parties; the First Nations,"

"In response to feedback heard from First Nations throughout consultations"

". Consultations with the seven First Nations in the Discovery Islands area provided important guidance to the Minister and heavily informed the decision."

"there are many factors that must be taken into consideration, including consultations with First Nations to ensure it is the right fit for the community and the area."

With the 17 Fish Farms being removed in the Broughton Archipelago and the 19 fish farms being removed in discovery islands. What fish farms are going to be left on the inside? the ones by Port hardy and the ones north of sechelt? @cuttlefish ?

1608312077922.png

I could care less what fisheries has to say in this one news release being quoted, If they did it because pigs were flying it would still be getting done. Salmon are going extinct and some fisherman are crying about why its beginning to be taken seriously. Who cares who or what gets it started without salmon decline being addressed it wont get better and this is a step in the right direction whether you want to admit it or not. This could be the first step to getting them out of the chuck completely or not, I don't trust government to act at all, but this crum might lead to what we all want to see in the end.

IF you want to analysis the low hanging fruit then i would say removing Fish Farms in only the Discovery Islands was the low hanging fruit. IF your a big anti fish farm person then I would say the government statement fell way flat. For example where in the statement did they acknowledge the harm fish farms has caused? or where did they say they did this for the benefit of salmon? or where did they say this is to prevent sea lice and disease? or improve salmon stocks? or to protect migrating salmon?

nope its:

" Today’s decision was not easy. I am committed to working with all involved parties; the First Nations,"

"In response to feedback heard from First Nations throughout consultations"

". Consultations with the seven First Nations in the Discovery Islands area provided important guidance to the Minister and heavily informed the decision."

"there are many factors that must be taken into consideration, including consultations with First Nations to ensure it is the right fit for the community and the area."
That's called covering your butt from liability. If the Feds ever acknowledged that Fish Farms cause harm to the environment as they do, the Farmers would likely take them to court. They got into this slimey messy relationship with Fish Farms and this is the way they will slip out by blaming it on the First Nations. It should never have been allowed in the first place.

Back