Run from Island to Mainland

totally tyee

Family has a cabin on water in Pender Harbor on the Sunsine Coast and living in Victoria it is a pain to get to with a fry from departure - Horseshoe and then Horsesoe - Langdale not mention expensive when towing a boat.

I know a lot of Vancouver boats make the run across to Nanaimo to fish. From looking at the chart the shortest crossing looks like around Parkville - Pender Harbor. What can you guys tell me about the run across? Would the best place to launch be French Creek? Is there long term parking there?

TT

We did the run across from Nanaimo to fish sockeye on the Vancouver side several times a few years ago. It was about an hour run from Nanaimo harbour to the fishing grounds on a nice day. I think there is long term parking at French Creek, same goes for Nanaimo, not sure just how long though.

I used to catch the sea plane from Nanaimo to Sechelt. About 20 minutes and no ferries. If you left your boat up there it might be an option.

French Creek/Parksville is your easiest place to launch to run across. It can blow like snot coming down Malaspina Strait....I would make the run early in the day.

Once you round the south end of Lasqueti.....hug the coastline up the inside (east side)of Texada. If it is snotty, make the run across where you have to/where it makes sense. Texada can provide a great wind break for that run, when wind is coming down the strait....the Sunshine Coast side usually has much rougher water.

Last edited by a moderator:
chat with don the water taxi guy from gibsons
he does it quite a few times a year
in that russian volga hydrofoil of his

depature bay to Gibsons under 1/2 hr
sorry dont have a number for him

Family has a cabin on water in Pender Harbor on the Sunsine Coast and living in Victoria it is a pain to get to with a fry from departure - Horseshoe and then Horsesoe - Langdale not mention expensive when towing a boat.

I know a lot of Vancouver boats make the run across to Nanaimo to fish. From looking at the chart the shortest crossing looks like around Parkville - Pender Harbor. What can you guys tell me about the run across? Would the best place to launch be French Creek? Is there long term parking there?

TT

Hey TT,

My parents live in Pender harbour and I in Vic. I've done the crossing many times over the last 5 years. First in my Macgregor 19' power sailor and now in my 16.5' harbour craft.

I've found the best option is the Dolphin Marina just north of nanoose bay. It's a straight line if nice out.

Coming from nanoose, I have found that the regular summer SE wind is totally fine because you are going with the waves somewhat. Coming back the SE can be a problem, but if you hug the shore from pender to thormamby and then go straight across it isn't so bad. Certainly pick your timing if you can; the winds can whip up quick.

It's 20nm so if it's glassy we do it in an hour. Sure makes the whole area feel small when what used to be an all day expensive ferry mission turns into 1/6th the time 1/4 the price. My folks have a great setup on the water so we are tied up on the dock and walk up the plank into the house.

One of our favorite things to do is stop off at jedidiah island on the way. Racoon Cove and the old homestead with orcard is one of the cooler camp spots and picnic spot around.

TT

Launch outta schooner cove. Long term parking, nice launch. Let them know at the marina what your plans are. I've done the crossing a few times. From Victoria to the inlaws dock on Nelson Island, under 4 hours.

Make sure you stay out of Whiskey Gulf if it's active. I just go around it anyways.

Also make sure you have some flex days for wind. It's not worth traveling on a day that is blowing hard. Coming back with a SE over 15knts is not fun. Hug the coast to Thormamby then cut across like Andrew said.

Looking forward to another trip this summer over there.

Don't follow that track if Whiskey gulf is open. You might hit a submarine or torpedo.........

You'll have no issues with that track, i've been running it the last week daily. The active range is primarily behind Winchelsea Island and a sub was out this weekend.

Made the run across today for the first time today. Thanks for the info guy it was smooth. 3.5 hours door to door from Victoria, beats the 9 it took towing the boat on the two different ferries. Now just need to find some prawns and fish. Shoot me a pm if there is some insider info!!

For prawns run north out of Pender towards Nelson Rock. Set in about 350 feet of water. You'll see a shallow spot just past last group of islands on your port, just past there. Approximately 1/2 mile the south side of Nelson. Make sure your traps a weighted, lots of current. For fish check with Wayne at the fuel dock in Hospital Bay. Or do a search on this site, been discussed before. Good Luck.

Back